Gazzas

Hasegawa Bf 109F Completed 20/02/20

Thank you for the kind replies, everyone!

With the fuselage closed up I had some details to attend.

Wvo83d.jpg

Both upper wings had long sinkmarks over some interior structure.  The lower wings are meant to be universal, I think, and have lots of detail to fill.

dxZatG.jpg

dokLeM.jpg

I'm going to leave the canopy open this time.  The kit has some nice detail parts on the inside of the canopy.  The seam on the supercharger intake needed to be made to disappear.

NAugX1.jpg

xeQ6Ps.jpg

I used Tamiya clears over Alcald polished aluminum to begin the burning of the exhaust stubs.  A couple of earthy washes should complete the task.  I also thinned the edges of the heat shrouds.  Seemed simpler than trying to make some from metal.

Thank you for looking!

Gaz

Looking great, I like these type of builds with historical content, plus I have fond memories of building a Hasegawa 109, I am not a Luftwaffe expert but the way the kit built up was really good and it was a very enjoyable build.

Cheers

Dennis

Hi,  Gazzas  Great start!  I'm looking forward to see all the way:clap2:

Inked-Bf-109-With-DEEP-EXHAUST-COVER-2-L

I have a question I can see this F-4 has deeper exhaust cover so hasegawa kit have the part for it ?

Regards.  Matsu

14 hours ago, Shiba said:

Hi,  Gazzas  Great start!  I'm looking forward to see all the way:clap2:

Inked-Bf-109-With-DEEP-EXHAUST-COVER-2-L

I have a question I can see this F-4 has deeper exhaust cover so hasegawa kit have the part for it ?

Regards.  Matsu

Thank you for pointing that out.  It's a feature I hadn't even noticed before.  Looks like some scratch building will be required.  I think the one in the kit is the same one used on the G series.

re the exhaust cover thingy, I am unclear what the issue is (and am keen to understand)

would appreciate if anyone has plans / diagrams / picture comparisons to hand that show the difference, but if not no drama

Hi,   It's not huge different but please take a look at these pictures they are almost same angle .Me109-F-JG3-Y6-I-Stalingrad-Sept1942-16fInked-Bf-109-With-DEEP-EXHAUST-COVER-2-L

atop one I can see bottom half of exhaust stacks but not on this one 

Regards.  Matsu

I’m guessing that this is a field modification.  Looking at my 109 F tome, it seems to me that somewhere in the F4 production run they began putting a turned-down fairing over the port side exhaust as early F4 photos and drawings show the straight fairing whilst later photos and drawings show the turned-down style.  

The darker color also also suggests this to me.  Again, this is all my intuition, I haven’t seen any documentation or Fuhrerbefehl to that effect.

Thank you all for your input and photos.

3 hours ago, Gazzas said:

I’m guessing that this is a field modification.

I totally agree  with you and I hope I wasn't encumber your thead.

Regards,  Matsu.

5 hours ago, Gazzas said:

I’m guessing that this is a field modification.   somewhere in the F4 production run they began putting a turned-down fairing over the port side exhaust as early F4 photos and drawings show the straight fairing whilst later photos and drawings show the turned-down style.           The darker color also also suggests this to me.

Yep, that's what I was trying to illustrate with the lightening.

Also , early F-4s retained the F-2 shallow chin radiator.

1 hour ago, MikeMaben said:

Yep, that's what I was trying to illustrate with the lightening.

Also , early F-4s retained the F-2 shallow chin radiator.

is that not a function of engine variation / upgrade. just as the slightly wider chord props? 

I am guessing / suggesting, because despite having lots of 109 reference books, so many of them are just same old same old pics, with no real technical authority or catalogue of these types of changes

anyway, back to the build which I am very much enjoying!!