1/32 OV-10D Bronco by Kitty Hawk

spyrosjzmichos

Hi all! Cockpit's finally done!

After completing painting, all parts were sprayed with gloss varnish.

I then applied the Airscale dial decals on the instrument panels and various placards, stencils and labels from Anyz models.

Following a wash and some further detail painting everything was finally sealed with flat varnish.

kmaf8Z.jpg

S3X542.jpg

TSeYvN.jpg

TFxhkE.jpg

dKl93A.jpg

deDNFV.jpg

PVekT4.jpg

MbKVqp.jpg

e7JVE9.jpg

7zNYdx.jpg

9VRTa9.jpg

uVVrSV.jpg

BG0wGc.jpg

Hi all.

With the cockpit finally done I have now moved on to the twin tail booms and engine.

I plan to leave one engine exposed and the other covered up.

I have spent most of the week cleaning up and assembling the exposed engine.

Using reference pics I also added more details in the form of cables and wires using lead wire and braided line.

GFYn3v.jpg

nYQQPU.jpg

4c46Z3.jpg

SKDh5q.jpg

gTt0ls.jpg

ojVyd8.jpg

Lovely build you have going there!  Love the extra detail too!

The engine looks great, Kitty Hawk did a good job capturing the general shape and details of the engine.  For what it's worth Kitty Hawk clearly used a museum aircraft as reference.  The screen on the intake and oil cooler should not be there.  Those screens were added by museum staff to keep rodents and birds out of the engine.  I suppose you could use the screen on the oil cooler to simulate the radiator face.  

Also the OV-10's engines are pretty common turboprop engines, e.g. they are seen on most Beech King Airs.  On the OV-10 the engines were mounted upside down to bring the intake above the prop to limit FOD ingestion.  No screen necessary.

Looking forward to more updates!

Cheers,

Timmy!

On 10/3/2019 at 8:14 AM, Uncarina said:

Beautiful work, and a truly vibrant cockpit. I am taking notes! By the way, I just received my Aeroclub landing struts, and fully second Brian’s recommendation.  

Cheers,  Tom

Many thanks Tom. 

I will assemble the undercarriage and test the model standing on them. 

If I notice any shag I'll replace them with the metal gear struts.

15 hours ago, Timmy! said:

Lovely build you have going there!  Love the extra detail too!

The engine looks great, Kitty Hawk did a good job capturing the general shape and details of the engine.  For what it's worth Kitty Hawk clearly used a museum aircraft as reference.  The screen on the intake and oil cooler should not be there.  Those screens were added by museum staff to keep rodents and birds out of the engine.  I suppose you could use the screen on the oil cooler to simulate the radiator face.  

Also the OV-10's engines are pretty common turboprop engines, e.g. they are seen on most Beech King Airs.  On the OV-10 the engines were mounted upside down to bring the intake above the prop to limit FOD ingestion.  No screen necessary.

Looking forward to more updates!

Cheers,

Timmy!

Thank you for the info Timmy!

I remember reading about the mesh screens on some LSP thread before and so omitted those.

I wish one of the model companies released a documentary video on a kit production, from concept to design to mould creation, injection and build testing!

9 hours ago, spyrosjzmichos said:

Many thanks Tom. 

I will assemble the undercarriage and test the model standing on them. 

If I notice any shag I'll replace them with the metal gear struts.

If I were you just get the Aero Club metal landing gear. Brian's built a few of these! A couple of my friends have to.  They've all had problems with the gear sagging or collapsing!!!!! 

Spyros- that cockpit looks fantastic! Beautiful paint job. Timmy! Is correct in that the Garrett T-76 engine is pretty common amongst business turboprop aircraft (known as a TPE-331 in civilian circles)- but it only appeared one one model of Beech King Air for a short time, the B100. All other models of King Air run Pratt and Whitney PT-6 engines.....just wanted to clarify just in case you “fell down the research rabbit hole”. You might get a bit confused searching internet pics!

Anyway, he is also correct on no screens on the engines. They do not use them.

Please keep the updates coming fast and furiously!

THOR    :ph34r: