KH OV-10A Pave Nail

daveculp

8 hours ago, Vandy 1 VX 4 said:

Dave   Are you watching this build of Eric's OV-10 build     Maybe you can do the replacement refueling caps?

Yes,  I see the fuel cap mod - nice solution.  The Eduard PE exterior kit comes with fuel caps.  I installed those and made a mess of it.  I didn't want them sitting proud of the wing surface so I drilled part-way into the wing first.  That makes a conical divot that allows the PE part to sit flush with the wing. A couple of the caps came out OK, but the others look bad.  What I really need is a drill bit that doesn't make a conical hole.  Something like a forstner bit. but really small.  I probably should have made my own bit first.  I tried to file down the tip of a regular bit but the material is just too tough so I gave up and used the bit as-is.

Thought it might be easier just to drill a hole through the whole wing and put a slug shaped resin piece in and then glue around the edge on the backside of the top layer. That way the slug will rest on the bottom part of the wing inside surface

13 hours ago, daveculp said:

Can anyone verify that this is indeed a photo of the Pave Spot equipment installed in the "Pave Nail" airplanes?

laser-equipment.jpg

Think that might be the “Zot Box” ( I forget the Pave designation) that was used by F-4 crews late in the VN war.   It supposedly mounted directly to the WSO’s canopy side rail. 

Edited by John1

I remember flying around all the time with the aircraft logbook jammed into the space to the right of the instrument panel shroud.  I've seen this in a few photos as well.  I'll make one to add some detail.  Does anyone have a good photo of one, or even remember the name of the logbook (was it Form 781?).  My memory is a bit hazy on this.

Hi Dave,

The Form 781 was the aircraft maintenance record. Aircraft Hours, Aircraft Status such as Red X, Diagonal or Dash. Pilot or Maintenance Discrepancies, Maintenance Actions Taken, Refuel or Defuel, and any other actions taken on the aircraft between flights. The Pilot's reviewed the 781s prior to each flight. We never flew the 781s with the aircraft because it contained all this critical information in the event something bad happened.

Barry

On 8/30/2019 at 8:03 PM, Finn said:

Here is the system being installed on a F-4D, a bit different than the one in the photo:

https://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675071235_Mark-84-Laser-Guided-Bombs_Ubon-Royal-Thai-Air-Force-Base_F-4D_laser-sighting-device

Jari

That's a great resource!  I can see myself spending way too much time there watching videos :)

Printed up some decals using a laser printer and some decal film.  My first print used Experts-Choice paper, my next print used some other brand I found at eBay.  I think the Experts-Choice decals turned out better.  Maybe a coat of varnish will hide the film.

Needed decals:  The tail darts, tail numbers, nose gear door numbers.

decals.jpg

I still have the EZ-Line LORAN antenna installed.  Later I'll cut the line off and use a round polyester or nylon thread.

Doing things a bit out of normal sequence now.  I removed the upper canopy part from the tree the other day and immediately scratched it, so now I have to work on other things while waiting for the polish to come in the mail.  Additional pressure is provided by my club, Red Flag Scale Modelers, having their annual contest this Saturday, and there is still a slight chance this model will be ready.  I'll be giving a 3D printing demo during the judging.

I printed up the WSO's laser/TV controls today, based on the one photo I have that may or may not be of the right item :)  I assumed the item stands on the floor as well as being attached to the side wall, and that it clears the throttles, gear handle, and ejection seat.  Here is the print fresh out of the printer.

controls-print.jpg

Here it is with supports removed and cleaned up for a test fit:

controls-fit.jpg