Mustang Red Tails - 1/72 Duchess Arlene B/C and D

CANicoll

So somehow I've gotten into the habit that when I'm about to embark on a LSP build, I first build the subject in 1/48 or 1/72 scale as a test run.  I don't know when or how or why I picked this up, but on the other hand, these builds go a LOT faster so I get a sense of accomplishment as well.  Maybe that is it?   Am about through with the Revell 1/48 P-61 Black Widow and that kit has so many fit and issue problems I didn't even want to bother doing a WIP thread here.  Lesson learned.

At the Chattanooga ModelCon I picked up for ridiculous prices the 1/72 Academy Mustang B/C Red Tail and the 1/72 Tamiya Mustang D Duchess Arlene kits.  Kind of like T-Shirts.  If I see them for $5 I buy them because you can't go wrong for $5 right?  I do plan on trying out the MRP paints I've ordered with these kits.  If I screw one of these up with the paint I'm out $6 and the paint and a bit of time.  No biggie.

qmLjCQ.jpg

with the jeep! (Internet Picture, not my build)

KMTmft.jpg

and the Tamiya Kit which will be a mini of my 1/32 Duchess Arlene (without the antenna wire...):

Cp0vfY.jpg

What amazes me is how different the two kits are.  I probably should be showing you some sort of comparison of the cockpits, etc but the B/C is already closed up when I thought about taking pictures.  Oops.  I can already see how the wing and fuselage join lines are much smoother and tighter on the Tamiya kit than the Academy - no surprise, right?  Apparently the canopy masking sets for both kits is OOP so I'm on my own with the tape.

Everything always starts with the cockpit, right?  Here is the Tamiya IP.  I actually bought a Yalu IP for the B/C (it was $4!! see the above comment about $5 T-Shirts) and will try and get some pics of that up too but this IP is all paint and drybrushing.  In 1/72 which is smaller than the nail on my little finger.  Primed the landing gear doors in gloss black and shot them with Vallejo aluminum already even though the landing gear doors will be painted Red.  The wheels are aluminum and also have a black wash in the indents.

ixoYhI.jpg

mBqGAu.jpg

I MAY put a pilot into the seat, still thinking about that.  I did tone down the sliver weathering and the black mark on the seat back.

6Tzhmb.jpg

wkibrh.jpg

2HRnI7.jpg

The wheel wells turned out darker than expected, but I'm not really doing a competition build.  I may work on lightening them up a bit.

dL1lRq.jpg

Ok, that's it for now!  Thanks for looking.  

Chris

Oh, and I do a LOT of painting with the sharpened tip of a wooden toothpick.  That's the trick!  On the cockpit pic, you see those white dots inside the tail?  Practice dots, I have them all over the place.  :punk:

1 hour ago, Juggernut said:

OMG, you've got way better eyesight (and dexterity) than I do....  If I tried anything that small, I'd be launching every piece I touched into oblivion just trying to get it off the sprue.

Bit more of an update - here are the pictures from the Academy B/C with the Yahu IP (which is gorgeous). I did have to cut quite a bit from the kit IP back in order to get it to fit but that was pretty easy actually.

Have not fully attached the wings just yet so the wing root gap still has to be addressed.

FFaDET.jpg

Lots of work on the back fuselage seam.  Engine cowling needs a lot of work too.

0cTBeW.jpgNGVSCE.jpg

More to come!

Chris

Edited by CANicoll

Well done Chris.

Wow, especially considering we're talking 1/72nd, that Yahu instrument panel is gorgeous indeed! I just got Yahu's IP for Special Hobby's 1/32nd Yak-3 and it looks equally fantastic. I have to admit though I still prefer doing my own IPs using Airscale's instruments but not in 1/72nd!

Cheers,

Wolf

9 hours ago, Wolf Buddee said:

Well done Chris.

Wow, especially considering we're talking 1/72nd, that Yahu instrument panel is gorgeous indeed! I just got Yahu's IP for Special Hobby's 1/32nd Yak-3 and it looks equally fantastic. I have to admit though I still prefer doing my own IPs using Airscale's instruments but not in 1/72nd!

Cheers,

Wolf

Wolf,  I definitely agree and have the full set of Airscale's instruments in 1/32  which I picked up in Telford last year and the year before.  I had not used the Yahu IP before and for $4 I figured why not.  In 1/72 you have to REALLY look to see the IP 

I'm not a big fan of the pre-painted IPs esp in the larger scales but some do look amazing for display (such as Eduard's P-39 IP in 1/48). 

For competition, I much prefer to see an IP that was built, painted and detailed by the modeler.  Pretty soon I expect we will see 'pre-painted' cockpits from Eduard and some others. 

CN

Making progress and learning how to spray the MRP and Alclad paints.   Also now NOT to contaminate the entire rest of my place with the fumes.  Holy cow.  The respirator is a must, but works amazingly well.  I need to pick up a supply of pipettes and some of the lacquer thinner, cleaner but I've also learned that the Mr Color Leveler REALLY cleans out the airbrush.  WOW.  I thought I was keeping my Iwata really clean but running some of that through the airbrush and it is REALLY clean now.  I could not believe what it washed out.   

Ok, here is what I've done lately with the MRP and the Alclad paints.  Mostly a learning exercise.

Here is the masking for the yellow wing stripes, which interestingly enough are in vastly different locations on the B/C and the D models.  This is the wing for the B/C.  The D stripes are inboard of the guns while the B/C stripes are much further out.  Gotta love Dilbert calendars for wide area masking.

qx8yv8.jpg

Here is the masking for the B/C Red Tail, which is also very different from the B/C to the D aircraft.

89SMTj.jpg

And the nose anti-glare panel and the wingtips (red). I used the flexible Tamiya tape (white) for the shape then backed it with regular yellow Tamiya tape.  Was not overly careful about ensuring everything was perfectly symmetrical:

av2b1n.jpg

And the 'Insignia Red' MRP paint.  I still think it looks more orange to me.  For my purposes here, wanting a faded, worn look, this is not too bad.

UO71AB.jpg

7AJpVe.jpg

And the underside, getting Duraluminum to set off the central panels.

sFEZu7.jpg

And Olive Drab on the nose (MRP there)

7AJpVe.jpg

Here is the desired metal effect on the D wings, Duraluminum on the center section, Aluminum on the rest of the bottom wing, Wing tops are Dull Aluminum including the tips (for now).  Flaps and ailerons are white aluminum (all Alclad).  Wheel wells are too dark, will probably lighten them up a bit.

5ybx14.jpg

Stay tuned!

Chris

Making a bit of progress.  Been trying to wrap up my Revell P-61 and I think I may just give up on it.  I have so much weight in the nose cone it won't stay on  :oops: and the seams are a mess everywhere.  May try and dig out the liquid gravity and just use the clear peg in the kit, we'll see.

In the mean time, having a blast with the Alclad and a little bit of spraying MRP as well.  OMG, where has this been all my life?  Other than needing a perfect undercoat - it sprays, as Brian and everyone says, beautifully and sooo thin.  I'm using the P-51 B/C as kind of a test mule and trying to do better with the D as I am just getting started on the Tamiya 1/32 Duchess Arlene (I'll connect to that build thread when I get it started).

Got the base coats down finally on the B/C:

o37n4f.jpg

Underside is a mix of Vallejo Aluminum on the outer wings and Alclad Duraluminum and Aluminum.

Mrm0AK.jpg

2uJDQ4.jpg

I'm planning on picking a few panels out (esp the exhaust area) since the Alclad seems to mask beautifully.  Oversprayed most of the fuselage and inner wings with the Alclad.  The red is MRP.

The D got its base coat of Alclad Aluminum.  I forgot to put my respirator on till I got to the D, but I guess that means my spray booth does a nice job extracting fumes!  Its the clean up that seems to smell everything up.  Looks like I may need to respray under the cockpit area.

Tekupe.jpg

Red Tail should be going onto the D tomorrow - might have to use the Vallejo Red for that.

Thanks!

Chris

Making some progress with the Red Tails, and here is where I'm comparing the MRP to the Vallejo paints.  Originally thought that they were two different colors, but actually they are pretty close.  BIG difference is that the MRP is glossy (Right) and the Vallejo is very flat/matte (Left) as shown here:

0YHelc.jpg

Also notice the difference between Tamiya (left) and Academy (right) when it comes to sprue attachment points...

Here are the fuselages.  Working on getting the elevators attached but have to so some touch-up and respraying on the Academy elevators.

0M6yb2.jpg

Some Duraluminum around the exhausts.

More to come!

Chris

Made a bit more progress but have also started the 1/32 Tamiya Duchess Arlene so splitting time between the three.  Hoping to wrap up the 1/72s this week but not sure if I will have time before a big conference at the end of the month.  We will see!

Facinating the difference between the Academy and the Tamiya kits in all sorts of ways: sprue attachments, size and degree of details, fit.  VERY interesting to have them side by side during build.

I try and do a bunch of painting at one time so this round was Mr Color Yellow and Black (trim tab), Vallejo Metal Color (for the P-51D frame not pictured), Vallejo Black Gray for an overspray on the 1/32 fuselage tank to make it more of a rubber color, Vallejo Black (NOT the primer shown below) + clear matt for flat black nose panel and cockpit bits on the 1/32 Mustang, Vallejo White Primer, and Model Master Acryl Interior Green (1/32 Mustang again).  Whew!

Masking for the black rudder trip and the nose panel - I seem to have horrible luck with overspray, hence the full coverage. I've seen OD and black nose panels so went with the flat black. 

Pn4tfD.jpg

I've seen OD and black nose panels so went with the flat black. 

wDVaQj.jpg

Mr Color gloss black trim tab on the rudder:

atgBD0.jpg

Wing is just dry fitted at the moment.

w0cXzf.jpg

1r2nJd.jpg

Underneath, sprayed some white Vallejo primer over the red landing gear covers to prevent the red from bleeding through. Both planes for comparison.

wyGF2G.jpg

Tamiya left, Academy right.  Much more detail on the Tamiya kit.

VEcIOo.jpg

2gm024.jpg

1zBcby.jpg

That's it for now!  Thanks for looking and comments are welcomed.

Chris