Propeller blade weathering... a photo

Gazzas

17 hours ago, Gazzas said:

I don't believe it's possible to replicate 'in scale' shine.  I think I'll stick with a matte or satin finish.

It's one man's opinion, but I find a much larger problem with scale painting jobs is they are too GLOSSY. These aircraft sat out in the elements and the effect is a VERY flat and weathered (as in "worn down," not "dirty") look. The paint jobs look like they're 50 years old which I presume is a mix of low-quality paint and extreme conditions.

Keep in mind German tankers at the same time were applying camo in paints in the field that were made by mixing pigments with gasoline, and often applied with mops and paint brushes. I'm no industrial chemist, but that doesn't sound like a recipe for really durable paint.

Edited by Bill Cross

5 hours ago, Bill Cross said:

It's one man's opinion, but I find a much larger problem with scale painting jobs is they are too GLOSSY. These aircraft sat out in the elements and the effect is a VERY flat and weathered (as in "worn down," not "dirty") look. The paint jobs look like they're 50 years old which I presume is a mix of low-quality paint and extreme conditions.

Keep in mind German tankers at the same time were applying camo in paints in the field that were made by mixing pigments with gasoline, and often applied with mops and paint brushes. I'm no industrial chemist, but that doesn't sound like a recipe for really durable paint.

We can't really compare the RAL system applied under field conditions to the RLM system which in 1940 was years ahead of the rest having paints that we're chemically enhanced to require no primer coat underneath.  I will concede that the quality of the RLM paints would have suffered as the war wore on.  Other than that, there's really no justification to compare the two.

Still, I believe a believable sheen would be very hard to replicate because of the number of influences which cause an aircraft's surface to become altered over it's lifespan.

It's not like the fender of A Cadillac which is steel and less prone to warpage, so that when it presents a sheen, does so in clear and unbroken ways.

Gaz

• 3 weeks later...
On 3 November 2018 at 2:11 AM, D.B. Andrus said:

Ever see an officer do s**t work?  Me neither.   ;)

Yes, I watched a bunch of them try to bump start a dumper truck in a muddy quarry lol as three of them on the starting handle could not turn it over, colleague walks over, leans on the engine pushing down the decompressor, swings it over single handedly much to their amazement then stands up releasing the decompressor and off it goes. They were seen again later trying to start it again still unaware of the decompressor.

Edited by TonyT

On 11/3/2018 at 1:30 AM, D.B. Andrus said:

Here is the photo I was referring to above, plus a couple of others in the same series:

Buffing%20109%20%201_zpsn4gpdvni.jpg

Buffing%20109%203_zpsorbxyglo.jpg

Buffing%20109%20%202_zpsvhlc9hf8.jpg

I woke up this morning and I accidentally saw this.

It made my day. I love seeing how the Germans knew exactly what they were doing. Just another proof how much ahead they were.

Beautiful!