How do I thin down a trailing edge?

I’m doing the 1/32 Revell Tornado at the mo. Construction of the tail planes has show that one sides trailing edge is lovely and thin, but the other sides trailing edge is vert thick. How can I thin this out without creating a wedge and loosing all the detail.

Steve.

Here's one potential solution that has worked well for me in the past. The photos in this case are of Monogram's ancient 1/48 scale Wildcat kit, whose trailing edges were not only thick, but a bit wobbly from worn-out moulds. The first thing I did was square up the trailing edge as best I could, and in the process created a bit of a flat spot. I then took some styrene rod of the appropriate thickness (it need to be thicker than the wing), and glued it to the trailing edge with liquid cement:

xogrlH.jpg

Once this was dry enough, I trimmed the length and then backfilled the area behind the rod with CA. Then it was just a matter of filing and sanding it to a sharp edge:

fG5tU0.jpg

YXQanJ.jpg

The two main downsides to this approach are that it's not very friendly to surface detail in the area, and it does slightly add to the chord of the wing.

Anyway, something to consider!

Kev

• 1 month later...