I have just finished my Dieselpunk fighter and made rivets for the first time. Knowing not everyone follows the 'Other Than' forum I thought this might be of interest to the larger group. Rivets are common on most machines but are difficult to represent well. What I did seems to have worked well and I hope that this might be useful to those looking to dress up their builds.

I had made 'saddle tanks' for the sides of the ship but they seemed bland, no detail..

KgSmjXp.jpg

I thought about straps or filler caps but decided on rivets. Archer makes raised rivets on decal film but I wasn't sure if what they had would work so decided to try making my own. I had an old computer connector in my parts box and using a 1/2 mm drill in my pin vise made a shallow depression in the soft metal .. you can just see it in the upper right hand corner..

dBMvL8l.jpg

Using scrap strip and sprue heated with a candle, the hot plastic was pressed against the metal and this was the result...

nG7QDxq.jpg

I made lots and it was good I did.. these tiny things are 1/2 mm dia and 1/4 mm deep.. they vanish without leaving a trace quite often !!

pvGJeOg.jpg

Each one was nipped off carefully with a new # 11 blade, speared on the tip, touched to a drop of super glue and carefully placed.. I didn't measure, just MK 1 eyeballing it all the way...

slSKbMj.jpg

A VERY light sanding, primer and paint... pencil graphite and clearcoat...

0MjmpwB.jpg

UhgfjSs.jpg

If you can do photo etch this is no more difficult. It takes time but is easy and the results look VERY good. I hope you guys & gals find this of use.

Cheers

Vaughn

Somewhere in my stash of modelling gear, I have a rivet maker from Greif Models of Mexico that works the same way.  It is just a small block of metal with different size dimples milled into it that you press heated sprue into to form the rivets.  I don't know if it's still available, and if I remember correctly, most of the rivet sizes are more for armor because Greif Models primarily deal(s/t?) with armor subjects.