BF-110/ HE-111 Pic needed - damaged props.

Gerhard

Hi Guys, there was an epic pic of one of the above, where the pilot flew so low over the English channel that the tips of the propeller blades got chopped off. This was in an attempt to escape British fighters.

Somebody must know what I am referring too, but my Google skills have  failed me. 

3 hours ago, Shawn M said:

hrm, thats a new one to me

are you thinking about the HE-111 crashing into the channel where the wing tip is just breaking the surface?

No. will hunt for the pic over the weekend. 

I too will be interested in seeing this.   More plausible in my mind would be to shear/grind off some of the tips while flying low over the ground on the way out to the channel.   The plane then continued to fly low over the water.  Dipping the blades into the water seems very unforgiving.  Wooden or metal props would grab.  Thanks for the interesting question.

Rick

9 minutes ago, Gerhard said:

Weill really try and fine the story Ron, was quite an interesting read.

I'd love to see it.  Those of us in our early 50's are the last generation with direct exposure to both wars and both sides.

Stories that need to be told.....

Here is another example. But this one was around the Italian war scenario. 

Junkers-Ju-88A-1.(F)123-(4U+SV)-after-a-

Junkers Ju 88 A-6 1./(F)123 (4U+SH) after a recon mission flown by Ofw. Bach Perugia, ItalThis Junkers Ju 88A-6 from 1.(F)123 flown by Ofw. Bach was being flown on a reconnaissance mission over the Mediterranean when it was chased by Allied fighters. During his escape he flew so low to the water that the propellers struck the water and shattered. Fortunately the wooden propellers broke evenly which allowed the engines to keep running and Bach made it back to his base in Perugia at a some what reduced speed. It's an amazing photo.

On 8/24/2018 at 11:45 PM, Shawn M said:

hrm, thats a new one to me

are you thinking about the HE-111 crashing into the channel where the wing tip is just breaking the surface?

Im still trying to find out more info about that particular aircraft - code/type etc, but internet and other forums are failing me...