Aftermarket for Tamiya's F-4J? Any idea to improve my own list?

@ntoine

Hi there, 

I'm about to tackle Tamiya's F-4J, and I'm wondering about all the addons available, what is really needed, and what is not.

My initial plan was to buy:

- Eduard Brassin set of wheels

- Eduard Brassin set of seats

- Eduard Brassin set of exhausts

That's the minimum.

Then I'm thinking about getting also:

- Eduard Big Ed PE set

- A new set of AIM-9D???

Questions are, is the Big Ed set really useful?

I know about an AIM-9B set, but where to source some AIM-9D?

Is there anything that I'm missing?

I'm already aware of the tweak list, and I've also the decals needed for the aircraft I want.

Thanks in advance

Guest Maxim

Hi Mark, I would grab a set of Zacto's AIM-9D missiles. Really nice. I would also use the Eduard Brassin AIM-7's and forget the Eduard Brassin Ejection seats as they are too big and the parachute container too square. I would use the Aires seats and the cockpit set. If I were to buy any Eduard I would just buy the cockpit set and the exterior set. If you want intakes I would go for the Rhino intakes which you can get from Ebay. They are the best fitting intakes I've used and I've used them all.

http://www.zactomodels.com/html/AIM-9/Sidewinders.htmAIM-9s_1.jpg

Edited by Maxim

Go for the GT exhaust set instead. The Aires ones are very nicely done and well detailed, but are undersized making it look like a smaller engine

struggling to fit in the mighty J79's place. Although if you're not bothered by the phrase 'close cowled' it may be something you can give a pass to.

The Tamiya intakes can be made to work by removing all the ducting moulded to the fuselage and assembling it with the provided trunking, just leaving you to sand and fill them smooth. Although again, your time might be better spent on fitting a set of GT intakes.

The Big Ed set always looks well overpriced to me, but the exterior set, the interior set and the placard set are worth getting separately.

Rhino intakes off eBay are a really great investment.  I have not tried GT's intakes since I stocked up on Rhino's and D-molds long ago.  The Rhinos actually fit a little better than the D-molds at the bottom half wing joint.  

1 hour ago, Bill_S said:

I got seamless intakes and exhaust nozzles from Sierra Hotel - I was quite pleased with them. The Aires cockpit is a thing of beauty, but be ready to do a lot of sanding!

I've heard great things about S.H. but their on hand stock is hit or miss I guess. I wanted to get some of their F-16 & A-10 sets.........:(

14 minutes ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

I've heard great things about S.H. but their on hand stock is hit or miss I guess. I wanted to get some of their F-16 & A-10 sets.........:(

Far more miss than hit.  Most of the people who have actually gotten items seem to be people who bought from them in person at a US Nats.  Chances of getting anything off the website are dismal.  I’ve stopped even looking.

A big thanks to you all, guys. 

Ed's stuff already secured, exhaust, wheels and sparrows that is, together with Aires pit.

Next are Zacto's Winders, and I'll look more closely at the seamless intakes alternatives.