Fisher Model & Pattern A-1E Skyraider Conversion

LSP_Kevin

I have the F8 RF conversion and his PT-22 Ryan. Both beautiful kits. I would love to have one of these.....Harv

Edited by Guest

Howdy folks,

Our own Paul takes a look at that other Paul's Skyraider conversion:

Fisher Model & Pattern A-1E Skyraider Conversion

2027-1.jpg

Thanks, Paul!

Kev

Thank-you Kev for getting the review up so quickly, I hope Paul enjoys the review and the success this conversion deserves.

It was a lot of fun reviewing it, and learning even more about the "family sized" Skyraider.

Paul

Great review of a neat subject. I just received my first Fisher items a set of drop tanks and Zunis for my A-4. If this conversion is as nice as those are, I'll certainly consider grabbing it.

This is most definitely a set to have Tony, you will not regret it if you get one or two... Get yourself a Trumpeter USAF A-1J kit and youre pretty much all set.  I do like the Prop and ordnance you can get from ZM much better, and video aviation and especially AMS resin make some really great Skyraider bits for under the wings. 

Paul

A very good in-box review. Regarding the original - what was the reason for all that empty space behind the two front seats?

Jens

Hello Jens, I'm glad you enjoyed the review. The Skyraider was originally a US Navy aircraft and the multi seat variants were a development by Douglas to make the aircraft even more useful to the fleet.

It could be configured as a COD, AEW, ASW, ECM and Strike aircraft.

When the US Navy started parking their skyriaders for jets, the USAF happily took them and gave them new life as they were in most respects the perfect aircraft for the counter insurgency/CAS mission the services now found themselves fighting in.. Once in USAF service, specific equipment and rear seats were mostly removed and the aircraft was used as a strike/interdiction and SAR aircraft just as the single seaters were. When the USAF started flying as VNAF "advisors", the side by side seating of this version made training a bit easier, and gave a MUCH heavier punch than the T-28. More information and some amazing photos can be be found at SKYRAIDER.ORG

Paul