how many Mk.83 bombs can be carried simultaneously on a single MER?

Luca

Mixed loads on an aircraft aren't uncommon, especially for low intensity conflicts. One of the F-15E loadouts over Afghanistan consists of a mixture of GBU-12s, GBU-38s, and a GBU-31. However, it's unusual (but not impossible) to see mixed loads on a single MER or TER. The different drag characteristics between Mk. 83s and M117s would make such a load unlikely on a single MER.

Here is a pair of F-105s with Mk-83s on the c/l MER:

republic%20f-105%20thunderchief%20vietna

as you can see the bombs take up a lot of room so there wouldn't be any room left for other bombs. Plus normally they only carried the same type on the same MER/TER although there are cases of mixed loads.

Jari

Curious, what's the Hun up to here?

Here is an example of a mixed load on the same TER:

f4_swordsmen.jpg

a Mk-83 on the TER with a pair of Mk-82 Snakeyes on the i/b pylons. With another Mk-83 on a TER on the outboard pylon.

Hey Jari, GREAT photo thanks! I was wondering if the Mk.83 could hit, once unhooked, the fins of the snakeye below... but obviously not!

If I remember correctly, the weight capacity of the MAU-12 bomb rack was 5,000 pounds ...... hang a MER, with six 500 pound bombs from it and you are looking at about 3,500 pounds, same as hanging three Mk-83 bombs from a MER. 

3 Mk.83 + 3 Mk.82 = 4500 pounds

3 Mk.83 + 3 M.117 = 5250 pounds

3 Mk.83 + 1 Mk.82 + 2 M.117 = 5000 pounds

Edited by Luca

Hey Jari, GREAT photo thanks! I was wondering if the Mk.83 could hit, once unhooked, the fins of the snakeye below... but obviously not!

I think you're talking diameters now? A full load of Rockeyes for example would have even less clearance in that dimension, they're a few inches larger diameter than even Mk.83s. And Rockeyes were commonly on fully loaded MERs/TERs and they weren't an issue for diameter.

3 Mk.83 + 3 Mk.82 = 4500 pounds

3 Mk.83 + 3 M.117 = 5250 pounds

3 Mk.83 + 1 Mk.82 + 2 M.117 = 5000 pounds

Are you looking for one of these odd combo loads for a specific aircraft you're modeling?

Edited by ziggyfoos

Hi ziggyfoos, I'd like an A-6A full loaded... for example 2 drop tanks (inboard) + 3 MERs (outboard and belly) or 5 MERs or 2 drop tanks (outboard) + 3 MERs (inboard and belly) I don't know which is more correct

Edited by Luca

Hi ziggyfoos, I'd like an A-6A full loaded... for example 2 drop tanks (inboard) + 3 MERs (outboard and belly) or 5 MERs or 2 drop tanks (outboard) + 3 MERs (inboard and belly) I don't know which is more correct

If you're going for realistic and really want Mk.83s then I'd recommend skipping the mixed load MER ideas and stick with only three 83s per MER.

If you want full MERs, then you realistically (and common) go with Mk.81s, Mk.82s, Mk.20s, and M117s.

I would think the mixture of fuel tanks and MER would be dictated by mission requirements like distance to the target.

I'm curious whether the fins on that bottom Snakeye on the F-4's TER were wired closed to make it basically function like a slick.

I thought MERs and TERs were set to release in a pre-programmed sequence. Can the pilot select that sequence, or select individual stations to release from the cockpit? I always thought when the pilot pushed the pickle button, the entire rack released in it's programmed sequence, at least in the pre-smart bomb era.

The Snakeye fins could be wired shut. The ballistics properties of the Mk-eighty series were the same regardless of weight - the M117 was different.

I.e. I would be very surprised to see a mix of M.117s and Mk.eighty-whatevers on the same rack, but a mix of Mk.eighty-whatevers should not present a problem (except for making the plane wobble during a release sequence, if not salvoed).

Tony

Mixed loads could happen on the same rack. They loaded on specific stations to prevent weapons from making contact during release. That said, there was not much of a reason to mix a load in combat unless that's all you had... In the B-52, more than likely we'd have a load like Mk-84s on the wing and M-117s in the bay. We also used to drop high-drags in a low drag configuration when we dropped from high altitude (not really too high). Finally, if you did have some kind of weird load, you just planned your release sequence so the weapons wouldn't hit.

Edited by Bravo52