New WNW Rumor

cbk57

Guest Clunkmeister

Well, I have no problem building resin kits, but even an average IM kit is generally an easier time than all resin except maybe Fisher kits.

I'd take a Roden D.lll or Dr.l anyday over scratchbuilding, too.

:)

That's extreme wealth for you. You can make your own 1/32 WWI aviation collection, and you can make it almost all Anglo-German without having to explain yourself.

It's all down to sheer personal taste, and bollocks to historical significance.

Why is historical significance a more important factor to consider than other factors in determining which plane to kit?

As a model builder primarily concerned with artistic pursuits, I am much more interested in that which is aesthetically pleasing, for example, than what is historically important.

I'd build 10 Tiger IIs before I'd build a T-34.  The T-34 won the war while the Tiger II is a historically insignificant obscurity...

But who cares about that! I'm building a model, not writing a historical treatise.

Roden's D.III is not bad at all.

I've read about the Roden kit. Problem is getting one at a decent cost. At my LHS, they want WNW money for it. I haven't seen one on EBay yet where the postage didn't make the cost the same as WNW. Since I have at least two years of stash, I'm hoping WNW will make the D.III and the Dr. I before I cave in and buy.

The way that WNW kits are praised make me reticent to buy something lessor for the same cost.

Looking at their catalog shows that they're eating too much time on birds that aren't selling. I don't know why, but the cross seems to outsell the cockade.

Gaz

I've read about the Roden kit. Problem is getting one at a decent cost. At my LHS, they want WNW money for it. I haven't seen one on EBay yet where the postage didn't make the cost the same as WNW. Since I have at least two years of stash, I'm hoping WNW will make the D.III and the Dr. I before I cave in and buy.

The way that WNW kits are praised make me reticent to buy something lessor for the same cost.

Looking at their catalog shows that they're eating too much time on birds that aren't selling. I don't know why, but the cross seems to outsell the cockade.

Gaz

Roden are good, but not WNW prices good!

Here's one:

https://model-make.co.uk/en/model-aircraft-kits/14421-roden-1-32-albatros-diii.html

€30, which includes 23% VAT that you wouldn't pay.

Bargain.

the title of this thread is "New WNW Rumor" and raised the question if WNW had produced a Fokker E.V/D.VIII kit.  The answer was no.  The total count of posts should have been two (question and answer.) 

Perhaps we need a new thread titled "Nothing to do with WNW" and limit the subject matter to only opinions, misinformation, theories and downright ignorance concerning all things WNW.  At least then all the drivel would be in one place instead of blooming anew every time the letters "WNW" appear in a title.

the title of this thread is "New WNW Rumor" and raised the question if WNW had produced a Fokker E.V/D.VIII kit.  The answer was no.  The total count of posts should have been two (question and answer.) 

Perhaps we need a new thread titled "Nothing to do with WNW" and limit the subject matter to only opinions, misinformation, theories and downright ignorance concerning all things WNW.  At least then all the drivel would be in one place instead of blooming anew every time the letters "WNW" appear in a title.

You really are a bundle of laughs.

Seriously? Nobody made you read my drivel.

Once, at a model Expo my wife got jostled by someone in a rush to find a deal. She said to me " don't these people have social skills?" I replied to her "W don't have social skills... And she finished my thoughts by saying "We build models."

Gaz

Guest Clunkmeister

Source?

I am mistaken. From several sources, paraphrased, Boeing engineers studied the best high performance wing available at the time, the Davis wing used by Consolodated on their B-24, and after studies were performed, found that the Davis wing as built did not meet all their goals, so gey designed their own wing, taking the best feature of the Davis wing and incorporating their own changes. The result was the B-29 wing.

My point being that the B-24 is much maligned, by historians, the public, and by many who flew it, (it was apparently a real pig on the controls), but the cold hard facts are this: it was a better performer, numbers wise, than the B-17 in almost every aspect, served in every single theatre of the war, did things the B-17 couldn't even attempt, and served in various guises in U.S. Military front line service well into the 1950s.

But the 8th AF is where the cameras were, and where the eyes were, and it was 95% over land to be witnessed by all, so the 17 got 95% of the glory.

Edited by Clunkmeister

Guest Clunkmeister

Guilty as charged Sir. I lay my head on the block and hand you the axe. :)

While the B-24 could carry a heavier load farther, the main spar was heavily loaded and could not take much damage without failing. The wing was also highly loaded, as were the control surfaces, making the B-24 a bear to fly. It had to be wrestled as much as flown. The B-29 was the ultimate bomber to come out of the war. Don't forget, the B-17 was actually a pre-war design.

To get back to the thread, WNW I am sure is watching what is needed. I would think they will take a look at the Fokker E.V/ D.VIII, and eventually get around to the DR.1/F.1, as well as the major French planes. Give them time. But German sells, just like WWII.

Guest Clunkmeister

Plus German is just better looking. Most (not all) Brit planes are boring. Green or brown, your choice. Same with French, there's are either tan or yellow tan.

But you could build 30 D.Vlls, Pfalz, or Albatros fighters and have 30 uniquely different aircraft.

Like you said, WW2 is the same. You'll sell 10 109s for every Spit, Thunderbolt, or Mustang.

Plus German is just better looking. Most (not all) Brit planes are boring. Green or brown, your choice. Same with French, there's are either tan or yellow tan.

But you could build 30 D.Vlls, Pfalz, or Albatros fighters and have 30 uniquely different aircraft.

Like you said, WW2 is the same. You'll sell 10 109s for every Spit, Thunderbolt, or Mustang.

I would have said the same thing, but I am biased.