1/32 scratchbuilt Westland Whirlwind

ironman1945

Well, I said I would post an update by 25 March but as you will see, my Whirlwind project has developed some "mission creep".

First the 20mm cannons, here are some photos of them primed/finished and installed.

post-562-1176019827.jpg

post-562-1176019844.jpg

As this draws nearer to completion (at least it seems to be nearer), I have given some thought to the markings/colour scheme.

I decided a few months ago to finish it as a "Whirlibomber" with 500lb bombs attached. I have had a set of Ultracast 500 lb bombs for some time, but to put them on the Whirlwind woudl require scratchbuilt bomb racks.

Problem is references/photos for the bomb racks are sparse, and the 2 sets of drawings I have do not agree in layout. I ended up jumping in with my mk1 eyeball, utilizing the clearest photo I could find from the 4+ publication on the Whirlwind.

The end results can be seen in these 3 photos of the port and stbd bomb racks (one photo from the reverse angle) and their associated sway braces. I used some spare photoetch armour pieces to add some structural detail (armour stuff does have its uses!) The photo I have shows that the Mk III Univeresal bomb carrier and side stays are attached to a mounting cradle, which in turn rests directly on the wing.

post-562-1176020705.jpg

post-562-1176020817.jpg

post-562-1176020837.jpg

And some final shots of one rack with a bomb as it will eventually appear slung underneath the wing.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words and comments; progress has been slow but steady... seems everytime I look I find another spot to place filler on....but the time for paint draws nearer and nearer!

Certainly this website has been a constant source of inspiration for me; to everyone, keep up the good work!

Dave/Ironman1945

PS: to Dave Pratt, if I do manage to arrange a trip to IPMS Vancouver this fall I will be sure to let you know.

post-562-1176021722.jpg

post-562-1176021748.jpg

Dave, I've been remiss in not reacting earlier to your latest post. Yours is one of those projects that make LSP such great place to come to. It's been a pleasure to follow from the outset, and the only negative as far as your fans are concerned is that there aren't enough updates (I know, I know, real life does have the deplorable habit of interfering with modelling pursuits!). Beautiful work.

Jean

Always a pleasure to look at this build.

Just a Q. I didn't know the Whirlwind was fitted with bombs. Do you have pics of the real one with bombs ?

I assumed the Whirlwind was designed just as a heavy fighter.

Hi everyone, hope you had a great Easter.

Thanks for the kind words. Matt, hows progress so far on your project? Jean, life does indeed intefere with modelling... just this past Sunday evening I was all set to give her one more sanding over before a final coat of primer, when suddenly I found myself replacing the kitchen faucet... sneaky girl, my wife!

For Erwin, see the picture of an example of a "Whirlibomber" as they were called. It was designed so she could carry 2x250 or 2x 500 lb bombs of varying types (GP, SAP). This modification was carried out in July of 42 with 263 Sqdn, followed by 137 Sqdn.

Take care all and hopefully I will have more in the coming weeks!

Dave/Ironman1945

post-562-1176214112.jpg