Airfix 1/24 Typhoon.

Dakkg651

I built this kit a while ago and had terrible trouble with the fit of the undernose radiator to the extent that I eventually completed the model sans all the nose cowlings.  The rest of the build was relatively painless.

I have now received a commission to build the same kit for a friend and he wants everything closed up at the front.

Has anybody had the same problem or was it just incompetence on my part?

If anyone has any tips on how I can avoid the same issues on this second build I will be soooooooo......... grateful.

Rob.

I recommend even more pre-fit, sanding and tape-together process than you applied to the first kit before gluing. I use "blue-tac" to hold bulkheads and any internal parts critical to the final shape and fit. Tape everything tightly so no surprises. Look closely and be critical. Some areas just are not right and must be modified. In your case the interface to the nose parts and the radiator. I add tabs under long seams to support the glue joint or a strip inside a cross section (e.g.,fuselage, nose cone) so the fit is snug and the parts will not scue while the glue dries. Look through the builds on this site and check the Internet before you start the next kit. I have not cursed as much during my recent builds (e.g., Kingfisher) because I am not "first mouse to the cheese". Heck, I am not that proud.

All this seems obvious but I am always fighting the urge to glue too soon.

Your first build must be darn good to cause a commission. We are all getting better as we go.

HTH,

Rick

Thanks for the links Tony.  I will see if his budget will stretch to aftermarket bits.

Rick.  Your advice about more dry fitting I have taken on board.  The way the build had gone up to that point had lulled me into a false sense of complacency!

My commission has not seen the first Typhoon attempt, but I had previously built him a Fly Wessex (much dry fitting needed on that one!) as he used to operate this type during his RAF career.  His late father flew Typhoons and Tempest Vs during the war, which is why he would like a model of his dad's Tiffie.  I am honoured to do this and so want to do a good job.

Thanks for the links Tony.  I will see if his budget will stretch to aftermarket bits.

Rick.  Your advice about more dry fitting I have taken on board.  The way the build had gone up to that point had lulled me into a false sense of complacency!

My commission has not seen the first Typhoon attempt, but I had previously built him a Fly Wessex (much dry fitting needed on that one!) as he used to operate this type during his RAF career.  His late father flew Typhoons and Tempest Vs during the war, which is why he would like a model of his dad's Tiffie.  I am honoured to do this and so want to do a good job.

Much more relevant, at least to me, is to grab a Barracuda intake. The OOB radiators themselves, look more than adequate to me, though they might benefit from some of the AM items available, but I just don't see them as being necessary.

Barracuda also makes a very nice Typhoon pilot figure too.

I'm presently building the car door type and as much as I am enjoying the build, I have to say that trial fitting is a must with this kit, and you need to be thinking ahead as you assemble it.  Also, according to the instructions, you don't fit all the parts if you want to fit the cowlings.  However, I'm finding some ways around this aside from the top cowling.  One day, I'll post some more pics to the WIP build once I've re done all the stuffed picture links..... :BANGHEAD2: 

Cheers,

Michael

I built it all cosed up and found some issues fitting the engine covers but I was able to pull them together with just a little filler in a few places without damaging the detail.  A bigger issue for me was how the cockpit side panel had clearly shrunk thanks to the poor quality plastic Airfix use and did not fit.  A lot more filler was needed there.

Edited by BarryWilliams

I've built neither of mine so far, but perhaps the "How To" magazine that I have, might help with that. I normally don't bother with acquiring modeling magazines anymore, but since this was a freebie, I figured what the heck.

I had some issues around the radiator fit, the panel didn't fit great. I was able to open up the grooves enough to get it to fit, but still needed a little bit of superglue and filler to get it all smooth.  Getting the angle of the radiator correct is the biggest thing, since the smallest difference can throw out the whole thing

Matt  :frantic:

I had some issues around the radiator fit, the panel didn't fit great. I was able to open up the grooves enough to get it to fit, but still needed a little bit of superglue and filler to get it all smooth.  Getting the angle of the radiator correct is the biggest thing, since the smallest difference can throw out the whole thing

Matt  :frantic:

My roommate just acquired the car door version, and there's talk that we may attempt sort of a buddy build of the two, though at this time, I have no idea when, or if, that might occur.