Kitty Hawk Jag

Monty Python

These renders have been out for a while....

I hope there have been tweaks. The windscreen and canopy aren't right and the area around the canopy sill and the blend to the front of the nose are off. The guns don't have the proper fillet either.

These areas are damn hard to do in the computer (ask me how I know). I went through half a dozen iterations of these areas and still had to fix them once I had a "hard copy" produced.

Without really good data and someone who knows how to use that data will have any hope of producing an accurate model by computer alone. The CAD is devilishly hard.

I don't get the feeling that a physical master model is ever produced massaged and then converted into production molds. Sometimes old skool is the best skool.

I wish them the best.

Timmy!

I don't engage in Facebook so have no idea how old the images are. I recall, perhaps seven-eight years ago, seeing a Song 1/32 scale mock-up of the Jaguar sprayed in grey primer and noticed incorrect curvature of the canopy bows etc.

This rendering - and we are all aware it's just that - does look to be a great improvement over that prototype and the later 1/48 scale kit's wing.

It would be interesting to know how far along this Kitty Hawk project is.

Tony

I wish somebody would do a slatted wing 1:32 Sabre F4.

I'll second that, I'd love to see a 1/32nd slatted wing F-86F-30, especially as I have decals for Harold Fishers 'Paper Tiger'! To be honest, a series of Sabres, from the A through to the E, would be wonderful, still a bit baffled as to why the F-86 family have not received much attention from manufacturers.

CAD is just another tool, a very powerful one, but if it used carelessly, it is just as capable of producing garbage as a blunt chisel. If there is a problem, it is that a rubbish cut made by a blunt chisel is fairly clear to see, while a rendering from CAD will look clean and crisp whatever the shape it is.

The care and effort that goes into researching the product is the key. And we are lucky that at least some of our kit manufacturers have realised this is a powerful selling point to todays market. We know who they are and we trust their productS.

GIGO. Most definitely!!

Edited by wunwinglow

Just an FYI for anyone interested in the Jaguar. There is a fantastic book by a guy called Patrick Watson called The RAF Jaguar:- Guardian Of The Skies. It was published in 2005 by Rigby Print in Norwich, U.K. It's a full colour photo profile and has pics of pretty much every area of the aircraft the we, as modellers are interested in. I can't remember where I bought my copy but it is absolutely worth having if you're thinking of purchasing the new Kitty Hawk kit.