I fought the Hog, and the Hog won

A quick update- The fuselage is assembled, and tail on. The tail looks canted back a little, but that's an illusion.  made a test canopy out of white plastic, all adjustments needed will be made to it, so hopefully the clear one will fit without any fuss.

DSC00010_zpscei3awgy.jpg

Coming along. I read where one reason the A-10 won was that Fairchild was desperate for a contract and went with the more exotic/powerful  and untested GE engine with a gamble that it'll not disappoint,  while Northrop went with the more economical and proven Lycoming. It could have easily gone the other way. New jet engines are notorious for letting aircraft manufacturers down.   

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I glued the wings on- I let them dry overnight, and when I turned the plane over the next morning the wings flopped down into a big fat Gaelic Shrug. I had used stub spars, as I didn't think the wings were all that heavy, but physics disagreed. If I had to do it over again, I would have a single spar passing thru the fuselage. I'm just glad that I had intended to use FOD covers from the get-go, because if I had made intakes I would be ticked that I would have had to abandon them to make room for the gigantic cantilever gussets I had to use to fix the situation. Here is a pic, but it ain't pretty. Oh well, lesson learned.

DSC00011_zpssz2eez7y.jpg

Awesome as usual, Lee! May I ask what kind of vacuform machine you have? I think I need on of these as well...

Hey Starfighter, I have one of the ancient Hobby-Vacs that they used to advertise in FSM back in the 1990s. It has different platen sizes, so I can do 12"x18", 9"x12", and 6"x9"sizes. It really works well, and cost a bit, but I bought it when I had a decent tax return and was single. A person with a modicum of woodworking talent could make one for a lot less, but I'm not that handy with a hammer and saw.  :shrug:

• 1 month later...
Guest Peterpools

Hi Lee

Awesome progress and glade you were able to sort out the wing problem.

Looking real good

Keep 'em coming

Peter