2003 series Cylon Raider

spacewolf

Onward with the build ! With the wings pretty much done, time to tackle the engine/ gun mountings.. NOT something I was looking forward to :hmmm: ....

R6oWiuJ.jpg

It looks straightforward... but there are a lot of things going on here...not to mention how tight the cowlings were going to be...

3fskJnu.jpg

I started out with some basic shapes....Not quite sure of what or how I was going to do this.. but I drew some inspiration for Tomaszhajzler's comment in his stunning F4-B4 build that often what we see in his build is the second or third try at making a part...

FEhZjMn.jpg

Setting the front of the engine against the former... ya, gonna be REALLY tight...

cIplpGt.jpg

lUeVv2E.jpg

As the 'base' is actually the 'top' and the engines extend through it, I added on a couple of stiffners..

wpeWfZn.jpg

Started planking...

mg3HlxB.jpg

About 3/4 of the area planked and sanded...

OVEKkF4.jpg

The area opened up that the engine will need..

Zg4vKQ8.jpg

Using knives, files and sanding sticks the opening in the formers was expanded...

ay3iV4z.jpg

Test fitting...

eEkg5W1.jpg

The planking finished as the formers were sanded down to the point there was almost nothing left..

GNJvzaF.jpg

The intake had to be planked and sanded to shape as it is quite a bit wider than the engine face.. Lots of tiny parts and much grumbling to get it right..

nxCbJVV.jpg

But... it looks good... and the engine slides in.. a nice press fit ! :yahoo:

19mWO1t.jpg

Did I mention... a very tight fitting cowling ?..

TI3ASTl.jpg

There is more to do... but I'm rather pleased how this is coming along. Tune in next time to see what 'fun' the Modeling Gods have in store...

Cheers

Vaughn

Thank

Terrific work as always, Vaughn! I never fail to learn something from your updates.

Kev

Thanks Kev, It's nice to know I'm giving people idea's on how to do stuff... It's one of the reasons I love this site.. people share here.. great idea's and friendly help.. best model group on the net !

Vaughn

Me like lots!

Making two of any scratch built part is tough enough but to get two complex shapes that are that close together just right is one mean challenge.  Great to see how to do it right.   :D

Dan

Symmetry is a bear Dan... and getting things exactly right can drive one nuts... but then, those of us with AMS are already well on our way so... :whistle: ... as for doing it right ?... I refuse to tell anyone where the screw ups are !! :evil_laugh:

Vaughn