2003 series Cylon Raider

spacewolf

After a couple of days off to rest my jangled nerves... on with the build !! The inside of the 'cheeks' needed to be thickened a bit and the belly pan blended into them. There is a spot where the 'throat' reverses the downslope of the pan... this was built up with scrap plastic and thick superglue.

oV4Ycld.jpg

A lot of filing, filling and grumbling ... but it came out alright..

u43RMda.jpg

The detail on the forward portion of the belly pan was built up from bits and bobs... The cone shapes I thought I could get from bombs or rocket tips... ended up using sprue from the rocket set...

AYsjiOM.jpg

The rod is stretched sprue, the fine ridge is a hair from the dwindling supply on my head :whistle: ...and the bits it goes between cut from scrap sheet..

rzaxZv3.jpg

23TXxnr.jpg

Those old kits are gold mines for scratch/ kitbashing ! You can make a;ll kinds of stuff from them !!

iEijHlp.jpg

Edited by spacewolf

With the lower half of the body and face it was time to get some head... :rolleyes: ...

SWju9EA.jpg

It has issues... they flaired it like a cobra's head and the concave section has to be filled... also, though I didn't realize it at the time, the rear is flaired as well...

The side view showed more things that needed tweeking as the lines were close, but not right...

ngtst0O.jpg

I was puzzling over how to do the shielding around the eye opening and get the lines right..

22hYR49.jpg

So, with some half formed thoughts... out with glue and strips of sheet... :fight: .. don't quite know what I'm doing... but I'm doin' it !!

The inside was lined with thin strips of .030...

xz83wdL.jpg

As was the concave sections on the outside..

vzahTa9.jpg

I was all set to start sanding when I noticed I'd created the head of a monster ! :lol:

ipqsYb8.jpg

Careful sanding and trimming ...

lsJiIpK.jpg

And things are getting closer to looking right... you can see the forward edge is 'proud' of the lower part of the face... this is gonna come in handy !!

gRmZH7D.jpg

Edited by spacewolf

With bated breath I set about with fine files and started cutting into the plastic 0f the part... you can see from the color changes that in places I'm almost through to the strips I'd glued inside the head...

AulcXAY.jpg

It looked good, took a day or two of 'tweeking' to get it right...

GD3bC3q.jpg

And with some scrap glued onto the lower face edge, then filed to shape....

ZBesrXi.jpg

It was with a HUGE sigh of relief I realized I'd pulled it off...

KLfbj5R.jpg

So boys and girls, Vaughn is going to go rest his jangled nerves for a day or two !! :frantic:

More in a few days... thanks for looking in !

Vaughn

Edited by spacewolf

Listen, you mad crazy fool, if you are going to integrate bits of yourself into this build you'll end up Borg, not Cylon :D

So very Kool looking Vaughn.  Keep bashing away.   :fight:

Dan

As long as the Borg look like Boomer ?... as the dog said " If this is torture ?.. chain me to the WALL !!".... :coolio:

Thanks Dan !

Cheers Vaughn

So... jangled nerves settled, back to sniffin' glue... from front to back...the back end of the head piece is different ..(like everything else on this flipping project !)... the end is flaired and rounded...

F4M76E9.jpg

I filled the seam and started sanding.. you can see the difference of what it's supposed to look like on the left side...

miWBZqW.jpg

Of course, sanding away all that material means you go right through... so the gap was filled with gap filling super glue and sanded smooth...

kmoo5Wu.jpg

Edited by spacewolf

The head is covered in some plating.... nice complex shapes because it can't be easy ..right ? :doh:

Zw6uLMv.jpg

Out with paper and making templates, then thin sheet ... the problem with thin sheet however is, glue tends to melt and distort it... how to get around that was the issue. After making the plate and carefully marking it's position I tacked the edges with super glue to hold it in place and with a small drill, drilled holes till I hit the plastic of the kit

mBOr4ng.jpg

A drop or two of super thin glue was put in each hole and effectively 'spot welds' the sheet to the structure..... one has to walk away for a day to be sure it dries completely.... There was some sink damage of course and the holes to fill... so my liquid plastic thing I do was gobbed into the holes and allowed another day of drying..

nWkTw9b.jpg

And then carefully sanded down.... looks good and that puppy isn't gonna pop off !

0MOKs8N.jpg