2003 series Cylon Raider

spacewolf

But the belly pan needs detail ! The info here is a bit murky... in the show there is a hatch that Starbuck opens to get inside the machine... it's there on the full sized hero prop, but not on the CGI version... I wanted the hatch there so...I cut out a bit of cardboard as a guide and drew it on..

pMUhih3.jpg

Some careful scribing and a couple of thin strips of sheet made the hatch & rails... a bit nipped off the end of a bit of sprue made the button Starbuck pushed to open it..

K1ylss4.jpg

CdXBYAf.jpg

So I got this finished... just in time for the light kit I ordered to show up !! :yahoo: Can't wait to get into this !! ... That's it for this time kids ! Tune in next time for more fun and glue sniffin !!

Vaughn

Hey Carl

I'm using this set made for the kit.. http://www.starling-tech.com/index1.php?id=cylon-raider 

He has a set for the original series Viper And if you request specific options he's very open to modifying things a bit... Also Stan is great at getting back to you if you have questions.

Cheers

Vaughn

Hey Carl

I'm using this set made for the kit.. http://www.starling-tech.com/index1.php?id=cylon-raider

He has a set for the original series Viper And if you request specific options he's very open to modifying things a bit... Also Stan is great at getting back to you if you have questions.

Cheers

Vaughn

Thanks Vaughan! I have a 1/24 Viper but it really needs lighting being that big and most I've seen require soldering.

I'll drop him a line and see if he can come up with something.

Plus I have the Fine Molds Falcon and that needs lighting.

Carl

Edited by BloorwestSiR

Thanks Vaughan! I have a 1/24 Viper but it really needs lighting being that big and most I've seen require soldering.

I'll drop him a line and see if he can come up with something.

Plus I have the Fine Molds Falcon and that needs lighting.

Carl

I have that Viper in storage... a lovely kit ! Soldering is not difficult, all you need do is practice and use patience.... test every step of the way, use shrink tube over the joins and secure the wires so they don't float about. I personally have issues with anything electrical.... always am going back and checking basics... If you plan it out and are careful it is no more difficult than any other aspect of modeling. Wait till you see how I'm going about setting up the wiring/ base for this build !!

Cheers

Vaughn

Vaughn,

That is some really nice work !...That Cylon Raider is really starting to look grand !! Keep up the excellent work....can't wait to see this finished as well !

Joe

Thanks Joe !... it's a lot of blood, sweat & tears but that's what us LSP'rs do for what we want !

Vaughn

So... put it off for as long as I could... but it's time to tackle the most important part of the build... redoing the 'face' of the Raider.... they changed it completely for the 4th season... basically grafting the Centurions face onto the ship along with the other changes...

7NPyKVZ.jpg

The length and shape of the top curve is pretty much the same except where the two lines come off the head.. it's a bit bulged there.. the broken line is the angle of the kit face.. the solid line is the angle of the face I have to construct..

CkKFU3o.jpg

First off the sidewalls have to be built up to blend into the body..

UBp21vP.jpg

Edited by spacewolf

This was pure jigsaw puzzle using scrap bits of sheet and eyeballing lines..

XYfUqrB.jpg

At the same time I was building up the sidewall I had to sand down areas that were 'proud' of the lines...

jM8EM9G.jpg

The bottom of the 'eye' line was cut out of .060..

hlyJJKE.jpg

Opening cut for wires and then carefully glued in place

GTeD5Bb.jpg

At this point it was all in or nothing... so out with the razor saw and I cut off the lower face of the kit part...

pCSUYjt.jpg

Test fit looks ok.. but I'm just winging it here.. this was really nerve racking...

eztrqAx.jpg

A bit of .040 was bent, cut to shape and glued in, then a doubler glued in behind and using riffler files a concave curve was gouged out of the plastic..

qPcavJW.jpg

AglhXTe.jpg

Edited by spacewolf

No comments about nerves of steel... I was sweating bullets doing this !!... but, with the first side done the second side was a bit easier...

OgnT0ps.jpg

And with that done, doing the grill was almost easy !

bwyZBOi.jpg

So that's it... I need a vacation !!... Tune in next week kids to see if Vaughn is still not in an 'I love me' jacket !! :frantic:

:evil_laugh:

Vaughn

Off the hook bad ass as usual Vaughn.

:frantic:  :frantic:  :frantic: 

I really admire that you don't accept half way measures and just bash away until it is right.

Thanks for sharing your work and inspiring me to do better.

Dan

Thanks Dan ! It's gotta be right, otherwise it'd bug me sitting on the shelf ! Kinda why we do aftermarket for the kits we buy..the right wheels, cockpit, ect... We want as close as we can come to what we see and know is right for the replica we are building.... AMS is a terrible affliction ! :mental:

Cheers

Vaughn