Tamiya F4U-1 Corsair 'Marines Dream' WIP.

Guest DannyVM

Danny,

Finally, I'm current on your build. just a fantastic effort. Extremely well done. You free hand camo paint scheme with the variation of color tones to represent touch ups by the crew, really looks quite good. Your  decaling looks like they were painted on. All told, I'm more then impressed with both your modeling skills and the level of your build.

Sorry to read that you were out of work from a serious accident, but I'm glad to see that you're on the mend. Good luck with those interviews, and hopefully you'll get more then one job offer.

Joel

Hi Danny,

Awesome build so far, I'm sorry if I missed this but what paints and washes did you use here? Keep up with the good work.

Cheers,

Brady

Thank's Brady  :thumbsup:

I use Mr. Paint for the underside i used U.S. Navy light gull grey MRP-98 and for the upper color is used Blue Grey MRP-133.

For the wash, i used a sludge wash, the one i always use, that's 5 parts tap water, 2 part's acrylic paint and 3 part's detergent.

Danny,

Somehow I have missed this one but having read through your build log I am super impressed, this is one beautiful looking Corsair sir.

Regards. Andy

Thank's Andy for your nice comment, much appreciated :thumbsup: .

Yes OUTSTANDING progress. I am keen to know of the wash you are using also.

Cheers

Anthony 

Thank's Anthony, :speak_cool:

for my models i always use a sludge wash, 5 part's tap water, 2 part's acrylic paint and 3 part's detergent (dish soap). This sort of washes are very mild to the painted surface, the detergent makes that the paint is easily removable.

I bought 4 bottles of MRP paint, all interior USN & USAAF colors including Salmon. After seeing your application of it, I'm convinced it's the closest to the real thing I've seen yet.

Joel, thank's mate :speak_cool:

Mr. Paint is really good, not only as a paint by itself, but also regarding the color range.

I do have one question. Dana Bell has posted a few times it was common place for Vought to paint the inside of the of the engine cowlings the same color as the bottom of the aircraft. For early -1s that's usually ANA 602 Sky Gray.  But your modeling a specific aircraft with a ton of documentation, so I gather that Marine's Dream was painted differently with Salmon. That's very interesting extra detail.

To be honest Joel, i don't know in what kind of color "Marines Dream" cowling was painted. Indeed, Salmon Pink was not being used for the inner cowling areas, but at the moment i painted the cowling i didn't realize that i was using the wrong color. Keeping in mind that their are not many photo's of "Marines Dream" i decided to obtain the Pink Salmon color for the inner part of the cowling.

Really great looking Corsair Danny. 

Your panel line wash is truly that, just on the panel lines which is a change from the more typical approach. It's great to see all the different techniques we use.

Carl 

Thank's Carl :thumbsup:

let's say it's an old school technique :P

Danny,

Finally, I'm current on your build. just a fantastic effort. Extremely well done. You free hand camo paint scheme with the variation of color tones to represent touch ups by the crew, really looks quite good. Your  decaling looks like they were painted on. All told, I'm more then impressed with both your modeling skills and the level of your build.

Sorry to read that you were out of work from a serious accident, but I'm glad to see that you're on the mend. Good luck with those interviews, and hopefully you'll get more then one job offer.

Joel

Joel, thank's mate for hopping in, and thank's for the feedback regarding the colors. :clap2:

I have to say that the Tamiya Corsair is one of the best kit's i ever build, great fit, quality part's and of course the paint i used is very good. This was something was afraid of after the previous disaster with the Starfighter. But here everything went very well.

Only the kit decals, which i find a little bit to thick needed a little effort to bring it to a good end. 

Regarding the accident, all is well now. Still i'm angry about the fact that it was my very first accident in my life, where i was unable to work for almost two and a half months, and for that they fired me :BANGHEAD2:

Just brilliant, Danny!

Kev

Thank's Kev for the nice comment mate. :speak_cool:

Greetz

Danny

Well guy's, i did some more work on the Birdcage Corsair today. I glued some thing's prior to the flat clear coat.

During this work, i realized that this model is really getting big :help: .........but at the same time, it's a impressive model :coolio: so i'm not complaining. :)

Ok, landing gear is glued onto the model, wheel still dry-fitted because they need some pigments for wheatering. Also the engine is glued onto the model. Everything got a wash and wheel bay doors are also glued.

Time to give you guy's some pictures

EIEYnrel.jpg

DbGkwf9l.jpg

gVT5QB1l.jpg

j4UA9I3l.jpg

Next photo's are with the engine installed.

lHHjgtDl.jpg

lHHjgtDl.jpg

2Ky536xl.jpg

CkzaSNwl.jpg

and with upper engine cowl

V4g3gIrl.jpg

SWYJWsHl.jpg

Greetz

Danny

Hi Danny,

I see, so you don't spend much money on someone else's premade wash you make your own concoction of a wash. I haven't ever tried that.

Cheers,

Brady

Indeed Brady, i never used a pre-made wash from any manufacturer, i always use my own made wash. I think it has to do with the fact i know that my mixture is working perfectly for me. That's what they call old school modeling :)

Greetz

Danny

I have to say, the subtlety of the finish, colours and overall composition looks perfect, she looks great slightly matted down....very very nice indeed! 

Thank's Anthony, i need to say, she is not finished yet, tomorrow i will paint her in a flat coat, after that i will post shade some area's, en ship some surfaces.

Greetz

Danny

Guest Peterpools

Danny

Amazing work. I've been a bit delinquent in staying current and enjoyed every minute of catching up. Simply outstanding work and your panel line wash is just superb.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Danny

Amazing work. I've been a bit delinquent in staying current and enjoyed every minute of catching up. Simply outstanding work and your panel line wash is just superb.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Peter, thank's allot my friend for the kind comment, no problem mate, happens to me to, life extents more then our beloved hobby isn't it :speak_cool:

Greetz mate, btwy..........great progress on your Mosquito mate :goodjob:

Greetz

Danny

Danny,

Impressive to say the least :wow:Your paint scheme and weathering is absolutely perfect.  As I previously said, your paint fading is as realistic as one can hope to get. I'm really looking forward to seeing your next update after the mat coat and some post shading.

​Joel 

Danny,

Impressive to say the least :wow:Your paint scheme and weathering is absolutely perfect.  As I previously said, your paint fading is as realistic as one can hope to get. I'm really looking forward to seeing your next update after the mat coat and some post shading.

​Joel 

Joel, thank's mate for the nice comment :speak_cool:

I hope i can get it as close as the thing i have in mind :P

Greetz

Danny