Tamiya F4U-1 Corsair 'Marines Dream' WIP.

Guest DannyVM

Danny,

As a Newbie here on LSP, I'm trying to read all the WIPs that are within my main modeling interests: US and Allied WW 11 fighters.

So when I saw your build blog I pulled up a chair and started to read through it. I'm only half way through, but I just had to comment on you excellent work on the pit, and your rationalization of going with coral and earth tone washes rather then the more traditional dark washes, really makes a huge difference.

I bought 4 bottles of MRP paint, all interior USN & USAAF colors including Salmon. After seeing your application of it, I'm convinced it's the closest to the real thing I've seen yet.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

Danny,

Just got through your engine build and upgrade. I'm really impressed with your detailing efforts. those PE details on the backside of th cowl flaps are just amazing. I'm all fingers when it comes to PE work, but with moving up to 1/32 scale, it's another skill I need to become more comfortable with. The resin upgrades really ads a extra touch. like you, I prefer not to use PE for ignition wiring as it's flatness just kills the look. Your effort of using round lead wire really paid off in Spades, (Old time American expression).

I do have one question. Dana Bell has posted a few times it was common place for Vought to paint the inside of the of the engine cowlings the same color as the bottom of the aircraft. For early -1s that's usually ANA 602 Sky Gray.  But your modeling a specific aircraft with a ton of documentation, so I gather that Marine's Dream was painted differently with Salmon. That's very interesting extra detail.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

Salmon wasn't in any exposed areas except for the tail wheel-well on one wreck (Michigan Corsair). As for the shade, I bet it varied each time it was mixed.

The inside of the engine cowl was light gray on all Corsairs from the F4U-1 to the end of production. At least that is what was called for in the build TO's.

ScoobyDoo,

From my research Vought's common practice was to paint the inside of the cowls the same color as the bottom of the aircraft. For early -1s that ANA 602 Sky Gray, and the for the -1As it would have been ANA 601 White.

I've spent considerable time digging up this information as I always seem to get the cockpit, cowling wrong on USN naval aircraft as so much of the time the manufacture went their own way, or the paint supplier didn't or couldn't match the paint chip or description.

Joel