Tamiya F4U-1 Corsair 'Marines Dream' WIP.

Guest DannyVM

Hi Guy's,

it's bin a while since my last post about my Birdcage Corsair, so time to give you guy's some progress pic's.

I wanted to get everything ready for painting, so i needed some work to do regarding glueing some part's.

First the massive propeller.

TYxoJFOl.jpg

Stupid me, i forgot to place the poly-cap into the propeller hub  :doh: No harm done, some extra drilling and the job was easily done.

Dry-fit onto the engine.

62Bwxajl.jpg

3Glu9J9l.jpg

Next step, the landing gear and the Eduard Brassin wheels.

WOWcFmPl.jpg

XkolhEOl.jpg

EliCayIl.jpg

ywhA6ZCl.jpg

Then, the painting, first the priming of the whole model. For this i used Alclad glossy black.

0iVGkMrl.jpg

LoGPJj1l.jpg

Next, taking care of the fuselage underside and some other part's. For this i used the Mr. Paint color range. Now in between, this is just excellent paint, really top stuff.

NUb7U1pl.jpg

eEbXwQDl.jpg

Q5S4weWl.jpg

Then the upper sides of the fuselage and the wings.

UaFLqGhl.jpg

For the camo pattern is airbrushed everything free-hand. So i didn't use masking tape. "Marines Dream" was a heavily patched up plane, so the blue paint on the lighter sides of the fuselage isn't over spray but a rendition of how this plane could looked like. For this result i used the color profiles provided in the Barracuda decal set.

EuMT4GPl.jpg

tQatnndl.jpg

EWZcvGXl.jpg

wyxdVsSl.jpg

lDp99fql.jpg

And finally, something i always am afraid of, the painting of the canopy. :hmmm:

This time, everything all went very well, so this is the result.

0fM3rSyl.jpg

EhDxgpMl.jpg

npv8VsWl.jpg

I forgot to take pictures of the inside of the canopy, which was also painted. To mask the outside, i used the provided Tamiya masks, which are excellent. For the inside i used the new Tamiya masking tape for curves (the white one), and i can tell you guy's this is excellent stuff.

Here are two photo's of the canopy and windscreen dry-fitted onto the fuselage.

LJAB8NWl.jpg

pXTfAhul.jpg

That's all for now, thank's guy's for watching.

Greetz

Danny

Can never get my canopies to glisten like yours. Secrets please............

Thank's Phil for the nice comment. :speak_cool:

Yes, please Danny ??.....Harv  :popcorn:

Well regarding the canopy, really not much. I just wipe the canopy clean with a paper towel, and dip them into Future, let them dry under a plastic cup so they are safe from falling dust. After that, no touching with fingers anymore :)

I hope that answers your question fellows.

Glad you're feeling better 

Thank's mate, regarding my ribs, yes, that is totally cured, but my right elbow keeps giving me problems. After some scans they noticed a heavy inflammation on the elbow joint. And this keeps giving me real heavy pain when i use my arm intensively. The doctor say's that the only solution will be an surgery. At the moment i keep this on a hold, because they can not guaranty that the pain will disappear, so i need some good thinking about that.

Early december i got green light to go back to work, but when i entered the office i was fired, first time i had an accident, first time i broke something, two month recovering and afterwards fired, 2016 was a very bad year, first my father passed away, then my accident and then i lost my job. There are nicer way's to end the year :whistle:  But, no worry's, Monday i have a meeting for a new job, so, thing's will be back to normal soon......i hope :rolleyes:

Greetz

Danny

Danny,

I sincerely wish you a better 2017! Your build is inspiring as always. For example, I followed your lead in getting the Eduard engine update; just hope I can do it justice, as you certainly have!

Happy New Year, Tom

Damn Danny I see what you mean about bad 2016........

Can they really fire you after coming back of sick??...........

One last question, sorry buddy, paint specs you have used......... 

Sadly, yes they can Phil, but they can not call my sickness or accident as a reason. They need another one. Next week i got some meetings for a new job, so i hope i can say by the end of next week that i'm back to working status.

No sorry needed mate, here they are : i used Mr. Paint, for the underside U.S. Navy Light Gull Grey, (MRP-98) F.S. 36440. The upper camo color : Blue Gray (MRP-133) suitable for U.S. Navy planes until 1942. Normally i had to use Intermediate Blue (MRP-136) which is suitable for Navy Planes after 1942, but this color is a little bit darker then the Blue Gray color, so i chose the Blue Gray.

That canopy is first class, Danny!

Kev

Thank's Kev, for the nice comment mate. :thumbsup:

Lookin' good, Danny! Love the canopy, but I don't need your secrets, I just need you to paint mine for me! Wow!

Thank's Ray, with pleasure  :)  only thing, it's a little bit to far to come over the pont isn't it :shrug:

Greetz

Danny