Revell 1/32 HAF F-4E AUP...Let's Get Dirty

Deadpool

Great subject! I will watch this with great interest. Are you going to be using the kit decal sheet with stencils? If not, I will be more than happy to buy it as I am in need of English language stencils for this long nose model phantom.

Thanks for the tip Danaos. If I can find the black ones then I can lighten them up by lightly spraying them with a light grey till they blend in. Now to find them! No one seems to have them. Does anyone know if anyone else makes Phantom stencils?

Isra decals used to I believe. Icaros seems to be out of productio/business so finding any of their 1/32 sheets is close to an impossible task. I am in the same boat. As I am searching for english stencils for long nose phantom but all sheets I have seen so far are for the short nose phantoms.

Hey Jarda,

Yeah, unfortunately the founder of Icarus Decals passed away recently. I've heard that they will start up production again soon, but no idea when that is.

Quick question to all Phantom experts out there re the auxiliary intake doors. Are they closed when the a/c is taxiing or powered up ready for take off? I know they deploy when the gear is down but was wondering if it's all the time. Reveal has them moulded shut so need to know if surgery is required.

Quick question to all Phantom experts out there re the auxiliary intake doors. Are they closed when the a/c is taxiing or powered up ready for take off? I know they deploy when the gear is down but was wondering if it's all the time. Reveal has them moulded shut so need to know if surgery is required.

Hi Wade,

All my pictures show that normal operation is doors open on the ground with engine shut down. They also stay open with the engine running and will close when the landing gear is retracted, deploying again when the gear handle is selected down.

Tom

Thanks TBC!!! Just snagged a set from Hannants. Now for those damn aux doors! Hate surgery!

Anyway, while I've been waiting for various AM parts to turn up in the mail, I thought I'd put together some ordnance and other bits and pieces to pass the time. I put together the gas bags and painted them in Alclad aluminium first.

DSC_0089_zpsd0brq5jv.jpg

I then painted them in the lighter of the three greys that make up the "Aegean Ghost Scheme" (FS 36307) using LifeColor paint. Then I dirtied up with Tamiya Panel Line wash and Tamiya Weathering Set D (Oil Stain). After this i applied random scratches on the grey paint to show through the aluminium under the paint as often seen on HAF Phantoms.

DSC_0104_zpsqkpqp810.jpg

DSC_0091_zpsskdtywjh.jpg

Also stuck on the forward air scoops and the Eduard photo etch of the slime lights. I had to use ref pics to place as the kit doesn't have any panel lines depicting these. Poor.

DSC_0105_zpskqildl0q.jpg

Edited by Deadpool

• 3 weeks later...

Jeez, 3 weeks and I'm already on page 9!!! Peeps work fast here. Been travelling a fair bit for work so bench time has been limited. Well, back to the build. Not much of an update as I await various bits and pieces to build up accurate AUP instrument panels. The Legend cockpit is pretty nice if not 100% accurate. Seats are also nice. Again, my sincere apologies for the less than impressive photo quality... I promise I'll get the DSLR out soon!

DSC_0099_zpsj9cpzvtk.jpg

DSC_0098_zpsl37hv0gm.jpg

And here is where the modelling gods kick me in the nuts and laugh. So I had a friend send me some seamless intakes that he had. Not sure if these were his own work or what, but quality wise they looked pretty damn good. Nice panel lines,, no air bubbles. Cool. So I performed some surgery and cut out the parts required to get them to fit...

DSC_0101_zpsjaey6vx0.jpg

Looks good yeah. Panel lines line up ...tops! Yeeeeaaaah...slight problem. When I tried to dry fit the front fuselage section, there was NO WAY that was going to fit. Not sure what I or my friend did wrong but I basically hacked up the fuselage for nothing...

Thankfully, I knew I was going to "f" something up so I had recently purchased a second kit for the bargain basement price of $25. Will now have to do with OOB kit intakes. Might need to invest in some FOD covers. Till next time.

Edited by Deadpool

Hi,

Don't despair and jump too quickly to conclusions. From what I an seeing in your pics, you should be able to use them. Look closely which section asks for modification to use them with the fuselage side. Resin sets are rarely a drop fit solution! This if often terrible for air intakes. I would not say this is "normal" but it is too often part of the game!

Corrected intakes are one of the most visible things on such Phantoms. So, I would not give up.

Hth

Thierry

Listen to Thierry, he knows of what he speaks.

The intakes take some fitting, even when they are designed for a certain kit.

They look nice and you are close to being there.

Love a "Dirty Bird" and have pondered a HAS TOOM just for the reason.

Jack

Hello Wade,

Welcome to LSP and what a fantastic choice for your first WIP build! I love all Greek HAF aircraft (or more correctly, Polemikí Aeroporía) and the F-4E AUP (Peace Icarus 2000) aircraft is certainly one of them. I have the same kit as you (later version) and the same reference book and I am also very lucky to have the Icarus decal sheet, as I also wish to make the same aircraft.

My intention is to eventually make all of the HAF aircraft in 1/32 scale, so I shall watch your build with great interest. A few weeks ago, I visited the RIAT airshow at RAF Fairford in the UK, and needless to say, these were the highlight of the whole show for me:

13615013_10153805372086589_5216993628308

13669825_10153805371711589_2314709790819

13680890_10153805371796589_7983090213330

13686772_10153805371786589_1223248891827

13668999_10153805371946589_4314125388289

13707703_10153805371956589_1083159145879

13680516_10153805371601589_9159246433797

13686526_10153805371906589_3950113906650

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=63507

Good luck with your build, and as others have said, don't give up when hurdles are thrown at you.

Derek

Thanks for the words of encouragement fellas! I'll keep trying to make them fit. Derek, they're some awesome photos of the Hellenic Phantoms! Those tanks look pretty cool.

Back to the bench!!!

Edited by Deadpool