HPH Helldiver is out

Brian79

And the Helldiver is not?

The D3A1 Type 99 dive bomber (Val) and the B5N2 Type 97 torpedo bomber (Kate) were two of the most successful attack aircraft of WWII. Both are very well known among Pacific War enthusiasts, and would (imo) have easily sold more units than this (admittedly nice) Helldiver kit.

I have no doubt that the hardcore fans know and love them. But such a product needs a large enough market to amortise costs and hopefully generate profit to fund the next model and cover overheads.

I wonder why there is no kickstarter-like campaign going. It is the best way to gauge "interest" and at the same time raise the money to make your dream models.

Radu 

Guest Clunkmeister

And the Helldiver is not?

The D3A1 Type 99 dive bomber (Val) and the B5N2 Type 97 torpedo bomber (Kate) were two of the most successful attack aircraft of WWII. Both are very well known among Pacific War enthusiasts, and would (imo) have easily sold more units than this (admittedly nice) Helldiver kit.

Not a chance. Yes, I'd buy both of those examples, but the Beast is famous in it's own right.

It fought into the war in Vietnam, so it's got plenty of history.

We had the Avenger and the Dauntless, now the Helldiver makes the trio complete.

The Kate and Val are nice and I'm hoping for both, but you could shoot either down with a revolver.. Not my idea of a great aircraft, although I want models of them...

Has anyone heard from HpH? in say last 3 days.  This is the first kit I ordered from them where they did not send the official invoice within 24 hours.  I emailed them early this morning.  Wonder if the huge flux in the pound may have had an effect, even though they are on the euro I believe.  I ordered with 17 remaining or so said the website. 

Paul C

I ordered my Helldiver kit on Monday, request for payment came on Tuesday and the kit arrived yesterday (Friday).  I have ordered several kits from HPH in the past and that is pretty typical turn-around time, but they may be experiencing a glut of orders for the kit.

HPH usually posts downloadable instruction manuals for all their kits, but they have not done that yet for the Helldiver.  The kit appears to be very complete and detailed, fit and ease of assembly are, of course, unknown at this time.  A couple of quick observations: the kit contains a complete and detailed engine, everything in the fuselage, between the front wall and the rear wall of the cockpit, appears to be there, the turtle deck can be shown in either the open or closed position, lots of photoetch (usually by Eduard), decals for two schemes, one tri-color one overall sea blue, and appear to include complete stencilling in both black and white, masks are included for both inside and outside of the canopies as well as squadron markings, aircraft numbers are included as both decals and masks.  Looks like a great kit.

Steve Sobieralski

Not a chance. Yes, I'd buy both of those examples, but the Beast is famous in it's own right.

We had the Avenger and the Dauntless, now the Helldiver makes the trio complete.

The Kate and Val are nice and I'm hoping for both, but you could shoot either down with a revolver.. Not my idea of a great aircraft, although I want models of them...

IMO we still need a Vindicator and Devastator. But my favorite genera is WW2 Navy, so I want them all. And while I'm still on the fence about dealing with a resin kit it's awesome to know that the Helldiver is there if I find I have to build one.

On the subject of the Kate and Val...well I'd love to see both, and a number of other Japanese aircraft, but I do not think they'd sell as well as the Helldiver.

A while back on my blog I ranted (if you can call it that) about the lack of Japanese subjects being built on a whole. For whatever reason these subjects just aren't as popular; though there seems to be a rather high number of them being built here currently in comparison to what you usually see.

The article for any interested: https://jimsmodels.com/2016/04/29/where-are-all-the-japanese-builds/

I ordered my Helldiver kit on Monday, request for payment came on Tuesday and the kit arrived yesterday (Friday).  I have ordered several kits from HPH in the past and that is pretty typical turn-around time, but they may be experiencing a glut of orders for the kit.

HPH usually posts downloadable instruction manuals for all their kits, but they have not done that yet for the Helldiver.  The kit appears to be very complete and detailed, fit and ease of assembly are, of course, unknown at this time.  A couple of quick observations: the kit contains a complete and detailed engine, everything in the fuselage, between the front wall and the rear wall of the cockpit, appears to be there, the turtle deck can be shown in either the open or closed position, lots of photoetch (usually by Eduard), decals for two schemes, one tri-color one overall sea blue, and appear to include complete stencilling in both black and white, masks are included for both inside and outside of the canopies as well as squadron markings, aircraft numbers are included as both decals and masks.  Looks like a great kit.

Steve Sobieralski

Steve,

Thanks for the info.

Rocky

Fair enough.

Based on your experience, I definitely have a problem with my order, I haven't heard a word since I placed my order on Wednsday, no payment request, etc. I'll give then a few more days before I inquire.

Usually when you order from HPH you will get an automatic email response back almost immediately.  Then the next day you will get an order confirmation and a request for payment.  If you did not get the auto reply your order may not have gone through for some reason and I would definitely check with them.  Their customer service, in my experience, has been excellent.

Steve Sobieralski