T-28 1/32 Kitty Hawk

DirkE

Time for scratch building the sun shades. clear plastic sheet from the kitchen + Tamiya clear green + PE parts from a 1/25 Jagdpanther

das6_zpsdumiq7at.jpg

IMG_3208_zpspp3xtuvp.jpg

IMG_3209_zpsuzy1h23i.jpg

After that I will add the instrument flying hood.

I would like to add the antenna in the canopy, but I am scared to scratch around there.....

Edited by DirkE

well, I got that sunscreen attached and everything was fine....until I thought at 11 pm to do the exhaust stain. Bad idea. I should have waited until the next day. Anyway, it looks awfull and I see no way to fix it. I would need a new set of decals, but ask Kitty Hawk to send new ones....probably have to wait until August, at least. I will finish the kit and head on to new shores.

dands2_zpstlx6bhh5.jpg

IMG_3224_zpsp5pejit7.jpg

IMG_3258_zps3jh7omyi.jpg

Dirk

I think the parts on the black actually look really good.  It just might be a touch too much behind the black areas. I rarely see these type of Navy birds that dirty, but it takes nothing away from the build itself, as I think its turning out quite lovely. 

Dirk,

I've been there man! In any case, your build looks really sharp, and those sunshades are an inspired move. Great work! For the exhaust stains over the camo, I presume it is over a clearcoat? If your exhaust paint is a different formulation, you could use an appropriate thinner to remove it...but I bet you thought of that. Otherwise, gentle sanding with steel wool has saved my work more than once.

Cheers,  Tom

Dirk,

Brian helped me, now I can help you.

I have a couple extra sheets of decals, and I will send you one if you need it. I'm going to be using aftermarket decals on my next T-28s, so if that will help, I'm all over it for you.

Awesome job, BTW.  Navy birds were scrubbed weekly, so they shouldn't be filthy, although who knows on a Friday afternoon.  They were scrubbed Sunday after Church services.

Ernie

Ernie,

that would be great! I would refund you for your expenses. How do I give you more info. I don't want to post my email address here publicly?

Dirk

I think the parts on the black actually look really good.  It just might be a touch too much behind the black areas. I rarely see these type of Navy birds that dirty, but it takes nothing away from the build itself, as I think its turning out quite lovely.

Thank you Brian! I think Ernie has a made me a very kind offer, that can help to save this project.

small update. cargo hatch (before the stain desaster) // landing gear // cowling adjusted and temporaly fixed.

IMG_3228_zpsgmh6bplu.jpg

IMG_3254_zpswyahhkkk.jpg

IMG_3286_zpsfxzycscr.jpg

IMG_3315_zpsw5tiat91.jpg

So what do I do with the exhaust stain? I tried to sand them away (8000 grid) and reached this point. I stopped sanding more and I think I will leave it this way. It fits nicely to some of the reference pictures.

IMG_3322_zpszuvmc3vh.jpg

Dirk

So what do I do with the exhaust stain? I tried to sand them away (8000 grid) and reached this point. I stopped sanding more and I think I will leave it this way. It fits nicely to some of the reference pictures.

IMG_3322_zpszuvmc3vh.jpg

Actually I think that looks WAY better!  It still might be  touch too dirty for the way the Navy actually kept them, but all in all it doesn't look bad or unrealistic at all. 

Actually I think that looks WAY better!  It still might be  touch too dirty for the way the Navy actually kept them, but all in all it doesn't look bad or unrealistic at all. 

I have this image of a Navy T-28 from the detail and scale homepage. Yes, I think mine is still "too" dirty, but....I like it!  :-) (I just hope Ernie hasn´t sent those decals already. If yes, he will get a nice "thank you gift" in return. But don´t tell him!) :-)

dands10_zpsepy55yfr.jpg

I have this image of a Navy T-28 from the detail and scale homepage. Yes, I think mine is still "too" dirty, but....I like it! :-) (I just hope Ernie hasn´t sent those decals already. If yes, he will get a nice "thank you gift" in return. But don´t tell him!) :-)

dands10_zpsepy55yfr.jpg

I like it too!

This is just BEFORE the crew cleaned it up.