Tamiya 1/32 Phantom F4J

rainstel109

Looks great.  I know it's a little late on this info, but I'm building a B from the same kit right now. I left the horizontal stabs off and painted them separately from the aircraft and then assembled after painting.  Just had to touch up the little triangle in front of the arrestor hook afterwards.

Looks great.  I know it's a little late on this info, but I'm building a B from the same kit right now. I left the horizontal stabs off and painted them separately from the aircraft and then assembled after painting.  Just had to touch up the little triangle in front of the arrestor hook afterwards.

So have I, those stabilzers would make masking awkward if they were fitted before spraying  

Ok boys, first blunder of the build and its a goodun! In a nutshell, I forgot to mask the forward part of the windshield and sprayed the whole thing gloss black direct onto the clear part! Now, luckily I found out a coupla hours after I did this and was able to remove the paint which came off surprisingly easily using a cotton bud soaked in IPA. Obviously the paint hadn't cured or I'd be looking at a lot of work to put right. Got away with it this time though but I think the edges around the masking tape will have to be removed, bit of plastic polish should put that right.

jgaT5x.jpg

Just had a look at that close up pic of the nose and, god's teeth, that paintwork 'orrible in that pic. Fortunately its the flash reflecting all the imperfections in the paintwork and hopefully it'll disappear when the matt coat is applied.

Ok, managed to get the main bit of paintwork done, not much more to say really. I've masked and sprayed the horizontal stabilizers aluminium and I'm going to do the dark areas on those tommorow so pics of those will follow.
Heres a pic of the model so far, incidentally I used a "whole" jar of Mr color grey paint on the upper surface and three quarters of jar on the white so far.

1tv7fO.jpg

On a sidenote, how do the pics look? they appear quite blurry when viewed on a website, but pin sharp when viewed directly from the folder in my pc. I think this might be an issue with my screen's resolution, 1440 as opposed to 1080, but I've treid setting the to 1080 and the blurriness is still there.

Has anyone any ideas on this?

Nice work, Terry! Good save on the overpainted windscreen, too. I can't help you with the photo blurriness problem, but they look OK to me. Setting the screen resolution won't make much of a difference, and shouldn't be the cause of what you're seeing. Possibly the difference is caused by what the hosting platform is doing to them when you upload them.

Kev

Looking very nice so far!

I recently finished the same kit http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=61020

Had the same issues with the spine that you mention. I left the horizontal stabilisers off and installed them along with the hot section at the end of the build.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Right, made loadsa progress now, so much I forgot to take some pics. I completed the base color paintwork, washed the model twice, corrected a loadsa errors and started decaling.My only problem was the "yellow hammer decals" they are extremely delicate and you guessed it, some of then broke up without that much effort so i had to resort back to the kit decals, tghe main one that broke was the yellow stripe that goes on the left hand side of the fuselage, it literally separated into about 4 pieces unfortunately. Bit of a bummer but at least I had the kit items to fall back on. Heres some pics of the progress so far. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. 

kZyZ9C.jpg
qvO66K.jpg
nRWbgw.jpg
KCw6qv.jpg
VX11bg.jpg
aU35GM.jpg