1/32 Hurricane

Radub

After reading your comment earlier during this build re difficulty getting this model into print, I'm pleased to see that SAMI have come to the party.

I'm also bemused that this work would be deemed to be 'unacceptable' for printing for whatever reasons. I've always thought modelling mags should show what is possible in our hobby, and thus inspire us, and I can think of no other builders/wizards that fit the bill more completely than you.

I'm absolutely gobsmacked by your work, your Ki-61 and Me 109 the 2 I've enjoyed lately. While what you do can be 'scary' at times, it inspires me to dabble and have a go (at many levels below your standard, of course).

Thanks for sharing it all.

Thanks everyone for your kind comments.

Don, the comment about "this type of work is beyond the scope of our magazine" came from a chap whom, in as far as I understand, is no longer with that particular magazine. (I will not mention any names ;) ). In all fairness, I offered it to them while I only had the cockpit and wheel well to show, so it was very much a "pie in the sky" project.

SAMI never had any issues with my article, they actually rushed it in very soon after receiving the draft (two months from typing to press) and they deserve to be commended for the professional way in which they conducted all of their business with me.

By the time the model was finished, I had been contacted by three magazines that wanted to publish an article on it.

My "blanket comments" were a tad too harsh at that time, and for that I apologise. I was wrong. My opinion has changed significantly in the meantime.

As for the "scary" aspect of this project, when I was working on it, I kept thinking that it would be the most complex project I would ever take. How wrong was I? B) The Ki61 beats it in the complexity stakes by a long shot! :P

Radu

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...
Hey yeah that does look interesting. I credit 'Cantacuzino' with helping me

confirm that the chin on my 109 was definitely yellow. He had many helpful

pics posted in that very long Ploesti post on the Rumanian discussion board.

Mike

a

b

e

n

...nice 'fix' Radu.

Mike, do you have a link to "posted in that very long Ploesti post on the Rumanian discussion board." I am very interested in the Ploesti raid...

Clark Cone

• 1 year later...
I just saw this Radu, and have to say that I'm speechless! What a beautiful build....no words to describe! Beautiful, just beautiful....

Thank you for your kind words. Much appreciated.

Radu

First time seeing this build. Words escape me man! All I can say is Holy F..k!!!!!!!

If any company wants to do the horribly overlooked Hurri. you are the man to see!

JR

it's outstanding isn't it! i remember when i first looked at (it a couple of years ago i think). i used to think that i had 'worked up' the revell hurri, a few times over the years actually, but seeing what radu accomplished made me realize that i'm still---after 50+ years of more or less constant modelling---a mere 'useful' plodder. iv'e mentioned this before but actually the 'great men' here (we know who they are) actually inspire us to greater things ourselves, wether fresh builds or re-visits to old favourites. having said all that, my poor old heart leaped when i read 32nd. hurri. and saw your name---imagined a host of goodies for it about to be 'sprung' on us----hmmmmm! what do you think jerry!

cheers,

dave.

Not for me man! Thanks for your kind words but I think that the Hurri is the perfect next kit for Hasegawa to come out with. Start with the fabric wing and go from there. Plus,BOB is really popular right now!

JR

• 1 month later...

Hey Radu,

I just found this thread, and what more can I say though than, wow!

It's true what you say about the Airfix 1/24th wheel well bay. It's a pile of crap.

I've just ploughed through your thread to find images of the wheel bay so I can fix mine accordingly. I bought some metal undercarriage legs (for the Trumpeter kit) and although they look great, they won't fit, so I'm going to have to get a hot scalpel out for a minor bit of surgery to accomodate them.

Great thread though.

All the best,

Nick