Hobbycraft P-51A, Any Aftermarket?

Theo

Won A Hobbycraft P-51A from last xmass Raffle, from Graeme, Big Thank You again. But I never had a kit from Hobbyboss.

Is there any aftermarket I can use for this kit and what would you guys reccomend. Replace cockpit? Wheels? Prop?

Can i use Eduard even if it's for another brand. Like to hear your suggestions

Cheers

Theo 

:help:

Edited by Theo

Vector makes a cockpit set, but it is usually expensive (around $50).

Any aftermarket P-51 wheels would be an improvement. Just be sure to get the tread style used by the airplane you intend to model.

While intended for P-40 kits, the Grey Matter wide-chord prop is a big improvement over the kit's prop. Also from Grey Matter are fishtail exhaust stacks that are also intended for P-40s, but again are a big improvement over the kit parts.

There are no PE sets for the P-51A in 1/32 scale that I'm aware of. The later P-51B/C/D PE sets that are out there are significantly different (not at all suited for a P-51A). 

HTH,

D

Vector has replacement cockpit sets for the A kits: http://www.neomega-resin.com/132nd-p-51aa-51a-cockpits-99-c.asp

Aires has P-51 wheel wells; they are advertised as for the D, but are in reality A model wells.

Should be wheels you can use, I am reasonably sure P-51 wheels were all the same?

Prop? not sure.

Hah! D beat me to it!

Dont worry about PE and belts, the vector resin cockpit is just great and supply both with and without belts seats. Except if you're REALLY crazy about the carpet monster. :)

Thanks for this thread, last week i was desperately looking for Allison exhausts. I checked every Quickboost, Mastercaster, CMK and so on, unsuccessful, and did not think about Grey Matter. Now i'm happy !

(i got 2 of these Hobbycraft babies recently and they are very appealing.... One is already almost started.... Box open, main parts unsprued.... i must resist !)

Edited by Zero77

IIRC there is a thread here building one of the variants using the Vector cockpit set. There is a minor mod for a good fit required. Barracudacals offers the wheels and tires. I needed to add a small strip of plastic stock to the leading edge (curvy area) of each of the wheel well openings to hide the front edge of the resin. The P-51 with the 4 cannon is my favorite kit of the three. I need to check whether or not one of the two brass aftermarket cannon variants for the Hurricane could be used for the P-51. The kit plastic cannon look OK but also seem to be fragile.

Rick

Dont worry about PE and belts, the vector resin cockpit is just great and supply both with and without belts seats. Except if you're REALLY crazy about the carpet monster. :)

Thanks for this thread, last week i was desperately looking for Allison exhausts. I checked every Quickboost, Mastercaster, CMK and so on, unsuccessful, and did not think about Grey Matter. Now i'm happy !

(i got 2 of these Hobbycraft babies recently and they are very appealing.... One is already almost started.... Box open, main parts unsprued.... i must resist !)

I am using the resin exhausts included in one of the PAC Models Spitfire IX kits. I converted it into a later Griffon varient. Use'em if you got them.

Rick

If you really want to take the accuracy route, the spinner should also be replaced as its diameter is noticeably too small and it is too pointy as well. Any P-51D one may be converted easily. Of course, this also asks for enlarging the front end of the fuselage with some thin plastic strips.

This completely changes the look of the plane. Having converted one, I'll go the same route for my second kit. This is the only major dimensional discrepancy of this kit.

If you really want to take the accuracy route, the spinner should also be replaced as its diameter is noticeably too small and it is too pointy as well. Any P-51D one may be converted easily. Of course, this also asks for enlarging the front end of the fuselage with some thin plastic strips.

This completely changes the look of the plane. Having converted one, I'll go the same route for my second kit. This is the only major dimensional discrepancy of this kit.

Thanks for the tips Thierry.

Rick

Ty for all the advice guys, Am not a Mustang expert, but have ordered cockpit, prop and echausts allready, now going  for wheels, mm and barracuda rocks, so get those.

Ordered the wheels and hubs, not bother with wheelwell, little to see anyway.

Edited by Theo

Ordered the wheels and hubs, not bother with wheelwell, little to see anyway.

Yes, little to see, but very, very incorrect.  Not to be overlooked IMHO, because other people will be looking.  A little extra work and expense I know, but worth the effort, again IMHO.

Best regards

Patrick