My HB Mk.Vb/ Trop

You're a veritable rivetting machine Andy. You've made light work of a time consuming job, well done. I'm sure your efforts will look splendid under paint.

Good luck with blending the windscreen into the fuselage. It certainly looks better than the HB version, as does the resin prop assembly.

Your Spitfire is shaping up to be another beauty. Keep at it.

Cheers.

Well done Andy, further thoughtful progress. What a massive difference that corrected prop is going to make! It's in the same league as a Cutting Edge correction set for spinners, blades and nacelles for a Revell/Monogram Bf110G4 - the OOB parts are passable but when put alongside the accurate stuff, the difference beggars belief!

Max

Definitely agree with you Max, its a shame that we have all these kit manufactures giving us lots of fantastic subjects to build but for whatever reason quite a few seem to give up when it comes to the prop and can spoil the look of the finished model.

This set by APM really is nice and looks the part just as the Cutting Edge correction set's do.

Regards. Andy

That's a great-looking set, Andy! Is it still available? Any chance we could convince you to do a small review and send it in?

Kev

Its still available Kev, purchased mine last week, Id be happy to do a review and send it in.

Regards. Andy

Wow how did you get that prop I found it on the web but could not find anywhere to order one from.

Cheers

Dennis

I'd be interested too, as I'm leaning heavly towards the Hobby Boss Mk.V in the stash as being the next project!

Here you go gentlemen, this is the link to the APM prop correction set on Martola Hobbies site, great customer service as well.

http://www.martola.com.pl/en143/produkty48586/spitfire_v_propeller_spinner_rotol_

Hope that helps.

Regards. Andy

Nice unexpected day at home today, so made the most of the peace and quite to sort a few awkward bits and pieces of this build out, first I concentrated on getting the Tamiya screen to fit. 

Fist I removed the locating lip for the kit screen followed by scrapping and thinning the forward sides of the Tamiya screen to get a basic best as possible fit as I could...........

20160317_102753_zpsezm71leu.jpg

Not wanting to resort to huge amounts of filler in this area I added suitable thickness plastic card to the Tamiya part............

20160317_1058510_zps3uyxml9s.jpg

Followed by some careful sanding/ shaping I managed to get to this............

20160317_131203_zpsvouh7c2q.jpg

20160317_125424_zpscnxzrkw1.jpg

Will need a little Mr Surfacer adding around the joint once glued in place but very happy with the results so far.

Next up I tackled the flap actuator indicators which you can only fit in the open position in the kit but as you don't see many Spits on the ground with flaps down this needed some work, fist I found the parts wouldn't fit the hole as they where quite over size and once I had got a fit I added plastic card from behind to stop them drooping while the glue dried..........

20160317_111039_zpskudsdzhu.jpg

20160317_111348_zpshfidvvxl.jpg

Next up the kit depicts the landing lights in the open position as clear parts, I decided the quickest and easiest way would be to cut the clear part down, turn it over and just drop it in place............

20160317_143650-1_zpsyp6kht6j.jpg

20160317_143816_zpsflaf36w9.jpg

Pretty happy with today's progress and not a huge amount left to do assembly wise now.

As ever, thanks for dropping by.

Regards. Andy

Having a bit of a dilema over which wheels to use, do I use the standard 5 spoke wheels or from a lot of pictures of Trop versions they appear to have solid hubs? 

Am i correct in that as I'm not sure........any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards. Andy

The canopy is looking good, I was going along the Hasegawa route until I saw the HPH correction kit, as to wheels some Spitfire wheels did have covers over the hubs, you will have to check a photo of your intended subject. There's some info on wheel types here http://spitfiresite.com/2010/04/spitfire-mk-ix-xi-and-xvi-variants-much-varied.html/3

And here http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2001/12/stuff_eng_detail_spitfire_ix_03.htm

And of course Edgar did comment on the wheel hub covers, full article here, http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/76600-very-early-spitfires-few-questions/

Posted 23 August 2011 - 10:31 PM

1/. No Spitfire had armour, behind the seat, before June, 1940. Initially, Sholto-Douglas said that, because the Spitfire was the fastest thing in the air, only an unalert pilot would allow anything to get behind him. He, of course, only anticipated fighting against the Me110, and did have the courtesy to change his mind when France fell, and the Me109 became the main protagonist. The armour, on the headrest, began to be fitted in early 1940, and aircraft were converted when time permitted. The first true armour was fitted to the front face of frame 5 (the engine bulkhead,) and this has foxed a lot of people, for years. When the first sets of back armour became available, they were issued in airfield order of priority (Manston first,) not Squadrons, with 11 Group getting first shot, and 12 Group getting what was left.
2/. There were no "plastic" seats fitted before May, 1940, mainly due to fragility problems with the material. Seats were metal, possibly interior grey-green, but black examples have been seen.
3/. Wheel covers were not fitted to service aircraft until April, 1941; initially designed as a counter against snow, they were eventually used against sand and mud.
Edgar

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by dennismcc

Thanks for the heads up on that Carl, unfortunately I threw away the remnants of my old etched fret from my kit. 

After checking my references WD-Q definately had covers over the hubs...........

levine-1.jpg

Should be a challenging paint job when I get to it, looking at her closely it looks like the markings have been covered over, should be fun to try and recreate convincingly.

Regards. Andy

Hi Andy, perhaps we can help?

Thanks for the heads up on that Carl, unfortunately I threw away the remnants of my old etched fret from my kit. 

After checking my references WD-Q definately had covers over the hubs...........

Regards. Andy

Carl, I'm in the UK and won't be needing the etched covers from my Mk XVIe kit (does it also have them?) so would it be easier (re:postage) for me to send Andy a set if he would like them?

Let me know guys.

Cheers.