1/16 Abrams M1A1 Thunder Run: Finishing Turret Upgrades

Uncarina

That looks amazing! Very smooth result.

Thanks! It's the first time I've tried this, and I wasn't sure how it would be in 1/16, but after testing it out I'm glad I went this way!

Neat!  Does that textured paint, now get an overcoat of the body color, or left as is?

Brian, thanks! Tamiya TS-46 will be going over this. Seven cans, to be exact!

Cheers, Tom

Pretty busy this week, but I did get the Challenger 2! Also managed to get a little work done on the top of the turret. I didn't like how thick the 7.62 mm ring mount was, so I scratchbuilt a thinner one and modified the attachment to slide on the ring. Also started on the loaders hatch, and added the front pane to the TC cupola using flourescent green acrylic. I'm pleasantly surprised with how it turned out. Sorry I didn't clean the top of the turret before the picks!

Cheers,  Tom

DSC02514_zpshofuwyoz.jpg

DSC02511_zpsc0yzri4n.jpg

DSC02510_zps7ytbh3tm.jpg

DSC02513_zpsd9b9afxv.jpg

Looking good Tom!

There is just something about a Bad A$$ looking tank and the Abrams is just that.

Barry

Barry, thanks! I agree. It's pretty dinstinctive with all that stowage, armaments, and sleek angular shapes. I'm glad to be able to work on it in this scale.

Who'd thought that an ABRAMS would look glamorous and HOT,... ME ... :wub: :wub:

... She is GORGEOUS and our work. Tom. is IMPRESSIVE. :yahoo:

NICE job. :wow:

MARU, thank you! Much appreciated. It's looking a bit hodge-podge at this point, and I'm looking forward to painting.

Cheers, Tom

Edited by Uncarina

Tom,

With the effort you've invested, I thought I'd chip in with a couple of points:

The commander's machine-gun on the M1 isn't fitted with the front & rear sights as the mount incorporates sights on the underside.

TS-46 is very, very yellow. Testors has cans of "Armor Sand" which are a perfect match. You may be able to exchange the cans you've already bought?

Hopefully these points help. I really like what you've done with the tank.

Greg

Tom,

With the effort you've invested, I thought I'd chip in with a couple of points:

The commander's machine-gun on the M1 isn't fitted with the front & rear sights as the mount incorporates sights on the underside.

TS-46 is very, very yellow. Testors has cans of "Armor Sand" which are a perfect match. You may be able to exchange the cans you've already bought?

Hopefully these points help. I really like what you've done with the tank.

Greg

Greg,

Thanks very much! I need this feedback, and appreciate your thoughts about this. Do you have any photos for the 50 caliber with this mount? I am just using the internet, and any mods will be easy at this point. I was planning on using the TS-46 with an overcoat to minimize the yellow and match the armor sand with some weathering variation to break up the uniform color. Thanks again,

Tom

Greg,

I have both of those pics and others, just didn't realize those were the sights! I have some vague pics with the sights missing from the top of the MG. You sold me. Also, I'm tracking down a spray version of FS 33531 sand; otherwise I'm getting a spray gun! As for the TS-46, it looks like a match for the early Op Telic Challenger 2's, so I might put them to work on my Heng Long Challenger.

Thanks again, Tom

Edited by Uncarina

Big update: I've added the jerrycan rack, finished the cupola with optics, corrected and added the 50 cal sight, added most of the other details to the turret, and started painting the CARC sand color. I'm still going to reposition and detail the smoke grenade launchers, then paint the turret. Making progress!

Cheers, Tom

DSC02525_zpsdshxrmbm.jpg

DSC02524_zpszjstrbts.jpg

DSC02520_zps3rjkvng5.jpg

DSC02519_zpsecgmgv3e.jpg

DSC02518_zpsk93uqwe6.jpg

DSC02517_zpsezwfqpdc.jpg

DSC02515_zpsopqmouwj.jpg