I/32nd I.D Vacform RAAF Canberra B.20

Piprm

Awesome build mate. Truely awesome.  I'm sorry to hear you're unwell.

I have had the pleasure of being up close an personal with the Point Cook Canberra and took a few photos. Not as many as what I took of the Phantom and two F-111's, but you are welcome to use them.

Oh and as a size comparison, here are my 1/48 Canberra and 1/48 Fairey Gannet side by side.  Both Classic Airframes kits. 

14311500_10153861590851546_4938684647840

Edited by DesTROYer

• 3 months later...

The notes I have are overall length for the tip tank at 14' 2".   The tip of the tank being 39" from the wing tip leading edge down the centre line of the tank. This makes the Cox drawing  of the tank 24" too short.. basically it needs extending from it's deepest point which is 30" diamter.

John

Hi John,

Yes, you are absolutely right about the wing-tip tanks being 24 inches too short... (in real comparative measurements)

The photo below highlights this fact... as it is painfully obvious in this air-to air shot of how much these tank tips - stick out in front at the main wing-tips ... but when sitting on the ground (being eye-level) these tanks are difficult to gauge size (strangely enough!)

YJH4FlO.jpg?1

eywp2Zs.jpg

My engineering assistant was none-too pleased with this revelation!....

qDlDS9n.png

So, instead of rebuilding a pair of new ones from scratch ... which I can do, but Nah!.... i know the workload that is waiting for me - So I will can this idea... 

Here is my idea...

Md6eyvy.jpg

This is my quicker solution... with the aid of my trusty calculator , I made corrections/amendments to the 1/32 scale plans......

and adding or extending the tanks - using a spare set of tanks from Tigger... (Thanks again to John from Tigger models!)

23T1T0A.jpg

J7rTgg5.jpg

Phil

Edited by Piprm

Gee Phil,

Been watching this build from the start but only recently reopened my LSP great work here mate amazing attention to detail I can only imagine how good your B24 is going to shape up with this build under your belt.

Guy

Hi Guy!

Yeah Thanks matie... 

Now that I'm well again ... I want to get this finished, so I can start on a bigger one (B-24.. Yes, I'm a glutton for punishment).

Only wish this summer heat would let up a bit in recent weeks, so i can get into it.

Phil

Edited by Piprm

Cool mate,

I was thinking myself may have to buy the HK 17 and strip it of all the generic B24 stuff may be expensive but what model you'd have in the end, but as for now I have too much on the plate scratch building a Ki 61 Tei Tony in 1/24 a 1/20 scratch Mk VIII Spitfire and the old beaufighter rebuild in 1/32.

Anyway mate keep going

Guy

Guest Peterpools

Phil

Great to have you back at the bench and working your magic. Super solution to extending the wingtip tanks.

Of course, most important of all, how are you feeling?

Peter

Phil

Great to have you back at the bench and working your magic. Super solution to extending the wingtip tanks.

Of course, most important of all, how are you feeling?

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks Mate.. Yeah I'm feeling my old-self lately.. with my energy back... I'm off the medications now and doctor gave me a clean Bill of health.. (my 100,000 Kilometre check up - I guess) ...so i finally got back at the bench with renewed enthusiasm.

Except these recent days - it's been super-hot weather... :blush: ....so it's been a little here and there,  without raining sweat over the work in question.

I find it hard to concentrate with feeling uncomfortably hot.. as most would.

Happy new year

Phil

Cool mate,

I was thinking myself may have to buy the HK 17 and strip it of all the generic B24 stuff may be expensive but what model you'd have in the end, but as for now I have too much on the plate scratch building a Ki 61 Tei Tony in 1/24 a 1/20 scratch Mk VIII Spitfire and the old beaufighter rebuild in 1/32.

Anyway mate keep going

Guy

Hi Guy,

Yeah , your projects are very ambitious to say the least!

I'll keep a watch out for these if you have a build thread here.

With the B-24 parts... apart for the bits i've already got...and scrounging for others... I'll be setting up resin casting soon, so perhaps we can share parts to ease the burden on the hip-pocket.

Phil

Edited by Piprm

Sounds good mate I only have a iPad at the moment I need to workout how to open a thread on here I am renovating soon so I have placed my big Spitfire in storage and work a bit on the Tony scratch building has a very satisfying feeling of a unique build.

I will try and get some pictures up when I figure it out.

Guy

Sounds good mate I only have a iPad at the moment I need to workout how to open a thread on here I am renovating soon so I have placed my big Spitfire in storage and work a bit on the Tony scratch building has a very satisfying feeling of a unique build.

I will try and get some pictures up when I figure it out.

Guy

Hi Guy,

You can PM me if you like and i can walk you through it, EricG helped me at the start , so I'm happy to do same.

Phil