I/32nd I.D Vacform RAAF Canberra B.20

Piprm

Thanks Craig,

Being such a big model.. (one side of the main wings is as big as a P-51)  then, I want to feel the rigidity of the completed model - when i pick it up... 

That's the true test for me - on the quality of construction.

And as I said, I'm doing it only once .. so I might as well  shoot as high as I can. (for what it is)

Phil

Edited by Piprm

Very nice with some creative solutions to making parts!

I'll get up the nerve one day to do a vac - right after I walk Niagara Falls on a tightrope blindfolded.

Niagara Falls,  sounds like a holiday to me!

Phil

Good progress so far :goodjob:

Why no brass tube crossbars/spars before and aft of the UC bay, hidden by the engine faces, to strenghten the wing? Are the intakes/exhausts going so deep inside?

Regards

- dutik

Hi Dutik,

Yes -  I showed the metal crossbars connection to fuselage in earlier posts... and the main ribs are there to carry the brass tube crossbars ... as well as the resin extensions at the back of the wheel well - all these are incorporated into this main wing attachment structure... but no, to answer your question, the wing is way stronger now with above incorporated strengtheners...than a normal injected wing of same dimensions, so it doesn't really need any more metal rods (fore and aft of U/C bay), other then the two main Fuselage/ Main wing metal rods already employed... but I understand why you suggested that.

The main things here is,  drilling holes that are true and square - in these inner wing ribs to connect the crossbars right though the entire midsection,  but this needs careful attention for accuracy., as far as getting the wings square to the fuselage. I'm not sure yet, if I have to get EricG's drill press involved here or not...But , these will be shown soon in the coming posts.

Intakes - exhausts? Yes coming up soon! ... after I play on EricG's  lathe.. when we can get a shared day off from work.

Yes the exhausts will go all the way to the exit fans of the engine ...deep inside - but again... these are the next posts...

Be patient my friend!  :whistle:

Phil

Edited by Piprm

• 2 weeks later...

Phil.....any news? I'm just fascinated by your work and anxious to see any progress to a completed Canberra.

cheers,

Jack.

Hi Jack,

Yes, as I said earlier.... I'm trying to find a common day off from work with my mate EricG,  to get some accurate parts done on his lathe and other things worked out.

...right now, either he is working or I am ... i think it's called Murphy's law.

But the areas I am moving into now (turbine intakes-exhausts, Cockpit) needs some more precise tools.. to play with.

But right now - I am using my spare time to set up my new workshop... to make things a little easier for me here..

I just spent the last 2 weeks emptying out my garage of tonnage of clutter...and into a storage shed... and the workshop bench and other needed tools are going in after that...

Stay tuned!

Phil

Edited by Piprm

• 1 month later...

Latest news:

I would like to let you guys know, that I have been very ill these past few weeks... to the point i was in hospital for most of last week (first health issue of my life)... 

but right now , I am recovering from a blocked artery to the liver with blood infection complications attached to that. (doctor calls it Portal vein thrombosis with bacteraemia of the blood stream).

I am on IV antibiotic drip and taking blood thinning medications right now at home ... so I haven't been near the workbench for a while... hope you guys understand.

I am eyeing off the Canberra as i write this but,  with no energy levels... it will have to wait.

Phil

Edited by Piprm