Telford 2015

Iain

It's near-enough to a 24-hour trip for me whichever way you cut it, so you guys have it pretty good I reckon.

Kev

That is true Kev,  it's just over 8 hours for me, done that journey dozens and dozens of times as you know.

The clear domes aren't generally available I'm afraid - and we always get asked if we have any for sale!

I got them from a UK company that makes bases for models. They acquired some large domes from a company that, I believe, went bust - and they had previously been marketed as cake covers.

The bases company had 7 available at Telford a few years back - and I bought all of them - ideal size for most 1:32 WWII fighters and optically clear/free of distortion.

They serve two purposes on the stand - to look pretty (they helped get us silver last year for SIG stands) and they enable us to put models right to the edge without fear of damage - they form our front line defence!  :)

Have just uploaded 60 odd photos to the site ready for me to do the show report in the morning (UK time) - it's now 2am and I need sleep  :frantic:

For any of you guys planning to cross the pond at some point in the future - you'd get a very warm welcome!  :)

Have fun...

Iain

Not really Matt,  its non-stop LAX to LHR in just over 11 hours, San Fran is 10.5 hours.  Cost is today is as low as $2000 and I am sure if you played around you could get an even better deal. 

Yes, but I don't live in LA. So it's about a 5 hour drive down to LAX, or 3 up to SFO.  And 2 grand is kind of a lot of money on teacher salaries.  Maybe in a couple of decades.

Matt  :frantic:

On the subject of the perspex dome bases, there was a company called 'Just bases' at Telford, whose Web Site I investigated upon my return.

Here's a link which might be of interest.

http://www.just-bases.co.uk/?page_id=128

They do them in 9" or ​12" diameters.

I'm thinking 12" would​ be OK for single engine 1/32 planes?

​

Yup - mine were acquired from Just Bases - the 12" is too small really - mine are 380mm (approx 15") diameter.

I did find some on Ebay in a variety of sizes - but they weren't cheap! If I can find them I'll post a link.

Iain