Derek B

New 1/32 F-4K/M (FG.1/FGR.2) Phantom kit announced by HKM

34 minutes ago, ghatherly said:

Tony,  if you can do the work you suggest then there would be no need for the simple items you suggest.   Not looking to upset you here, but really if one can do the airframe work as you suggest, building a few add ons and an instrument panel are within ones skill set making the purchase of your suggested set  a dead product.

On a separate note, in all of your travels did you ever meet Kelly Johnson?

From my own perspective I disagree. For many, achieving symmetry is the toughest part, which is why those L & R items are key. And printed in polystyrene so that normal solvents may be used. Something that's 97% right but is symmetrical looks better than one side 100% accurate and the other anything less. I concur that the titanium empennage is different but the Inconel parts are pretty standard F-4-looking.  

I have an autographed copy of Kelly's autobiography. I never visited Lockheed but corresponded. Most of the people I met were Pratt & Whitney, General Electric or serving personnel at USAFE facilities. No longer do any of that. The Cold War ended a long time ago. However, would love to see some of the Russian jets which passed me by, such as the Su-9/11, -15 and MiG-25 if they have not all been scrapped.

Tony 

I'm with Tony on this. A conversion requiring some modelling skill, rather than drop in replacement parts would be dramatically cheaper.

The major part would be the intakes (and ramps!) correctly shaped as far back as the rear canopy fairing, which isn't a great deal more than most resin intake/trunking replacements.

Aft of them, vac-formed panels to be laid on the fuselage sides as far aft as the jet nozzles, and below either a resin undertray incorporating the Sparrow bays as one moulding or as another vac piece to be dressed up according to taste or weapon load, with the Tamiya kit still inside to act as both strengthener and armature.

The keel area would likely need to be another chunk of resin too. Inner and outer tube resin mouldings would also produce jet nozzles to better effect than the CE one piece approach

All of this simplification would be vastly cheaper than the CE approach of a huge fuselage moulding with all its inherent complications and expense.

Edited by Chek

2 hours ago, ghatherly said:

One thing I can say is that the cheapest way to get a UK bird is an updated version of the CE kit with a cockpit and any other corrections that can cost effectively be made.

I agree.

Indeed Kev - I've seen nothing yet to indicate that the HK kit isn't going to materialise - so my hopes are on seeing that at some point.

I steered clear of the Wild Hare kit when announced as it's resin overkill - in my humble opinion.

I started to work on a conversion - back in 2013 - and had scoped out what needed to be done to convert the Tamiya F-J to the F-4K/M variants - a multi-media approach - but using some modern techniques. Through some good friends on here I've seen the possibilities/technology move forward - and more convinced a mutli-media conversion is doable.

Through the very kind offices of a third party I was offered access to a number of airframes - in various states of disassembly - in order to get all the dimensions/shapes needed.

Plans changed when we were made aware of the proposed kit. The data that Derek and I obtained was passed on - but I've heard nothing recently.

*If* the HK kit doesn't materialise I *may* resurrect what I was planning as a conversion - but this depends on my day job and what happens to the UK at the end of March.

I am currently working on a possible first release from Aeronut - but it's not for the Phantom - that's just between us, eh?  ;)

And, yes, I will dig the Lightning stuff out again.

Iain

12 minutes ago, Iain (32SIG) said:

And, yes, I will dig the Lightning stuff out again.

Iain

Good news on the Phantom, obvs, but especially so on the Lightning.

I haven't seen an Echelon kit for sale for years now, and I need at least another two Lightnings.

Lightning models that actually look somewhat like Lightnings, that is.

1 hour ago, LSP_Kevin said:

As far as I'm aware, the HK Models kit is not dead, but I'll see if I can get word from the horse's mouth.

That would be awesome. I have built no 32nd Phantom yet, but a FG.1/K would be HIGH on my list. 

11 hours ago, timvkampen said:

It is a strange way to operate: destroy what is of potential tremendous value. I read that the legacy PE/Resin/Books company Verlinden also finished business. There were no interested parties to buy it (or parts of the valuables (goodwill, masters etc), so they closed shop and destroyed the remaining stock and masters...a crying shame.

No, not true at all; Izzet (from Lots of Models), bought all of the Verlinden molds.

7 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

As far as I'm aware, the HK Models kit is not dead, but I'll see if I can get word from the horse's mouth.

Has he answered an email from you recently?  I’m sure he’s busy, but the last couple of emails I’ve sent him have gone unanswered.  We used to communicate several times a month.

3 hours ago, Lee White said:

Actually, yes, at least that's what he himself told us (Shawn, Daniel and I) here at a show this last September. I recall the story and photos of them loading them all into dumpsters, as many of us undoubtedly do, but Izzet assured us that he made a deal to buy all of the master molds they had, and currently sells over 40 pages of his stuff, almost all in-stock, with more to be released when and as the need arrives. 

This seems apropos not to mention germane to the subject.

Posted on Ron Downey's blog, F-4K Phantom II External Access Doors a supplementary manual showing panels and numbers for the Spey Phantom FG1.

The more comprehensive manual covering the major USAF.USN types is available here

Although I've said it before, I'll say it again: I can't recommend Ron's blog too highly. He often posts gems such as the couple referenced here.

12 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

No, not true at all; Izzet (from Lots of Models), bought all of the Verlinden molds.

Really!? Well, that is a relief. Some of the work is still relevant and most useful today. Any idea if they are going to issue some of it again?

5 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

Actually, yes, at least that's what he himself told us (Shawn, Daniel and I) here at a show this last September. I recall the story and photos of them loading them all into dumpsters, as many of us undoubtedly do, but Izzet assured us that he made a deal to buy all of the master molds they had, and currently sells over 40 pages of his stuff, almost all in-stock, with more to be released when and as the need arrives. 

As far as I know (there were discussions among Belgian modellers about that situation some time ago), they destroyed the molds, some assembled kits, dioramas, boxes and tons of other things but not the most valuable assets: the masters...!

any chance to get the CE conversion at a reasonable price now that HKM has announced that it will make a plastic kit?