Kitty Hawk Model 1/32 P-39Q/N

LSP_Kevin

That's coming along very nicely Kevin. The engine moulding looks really nice as well and appears to have nice detail. The ignition conduit and moulded in leads being an exception though. I'd definitely scratch build replacements for the side you plan to have opened up. That's just me though as I can't seem to leave anything alone.

I'm wondering if the cockpit looks as dark as it does in the photos because of the stark white background? I wouldn't change it, just thinkin' out loud again. :)

Cheers,

Wolf

Edited by Wolf Buddee

Nice progress Kev.

I agree with the ignition wires. If you intend to show the engine open then that might be just the pop to make it look right

Thanks, Ron. I'm certainly leaning towards fixing them.

Kev

That's coming along very nicely Kevin. The engine moulding looks really nice as well and appears to have nice detail. The ignition conduit and moulded in leads being an exception though. I'd definitely scratch build replacements for the side you plan to have opened up. That's just me though as I can't seem to leave anything alone.

I'm wondering if the cockpit looks as dark as it does in the photos because of the stark white background? I wouldn't change it, just thinkin' out loud again. :)

Cheers,

Wolf

Thanks, Wolf. I'm definitely not happy with the ignition leads, and am definitely thinking about replacing them. My MO for this build though is in the form of a review build, with as few modifications and additions as possible. But I guess I still have to be happy with the result, so I'll have a tinker.

With regard to the photos, I think you're probably right, as the engine is too dark as well. The original photos showed better colours before I tweaked them, so I might have another go and post the results again.

Kev

Kevin, was it you who said the exhaust stacks were not great, or someone else?

I've said it, but I think someone else has mentioned it too. I've glued them all together, but haven't done the requisite clean-up work to make them look decent. I'll try to get a close-up photo before proceeding.

Kev

Ah, now there you go, that's much better Kev! Now the cockpit definitely looks Bronze Green. The subtle wear on the seat and floor show much better as well.

Cheers,

Wolf

Thanks, Wolf. I'm still a novice at this photography lark, but I'm trying to improve where I can. My equipment is not the best (ahem), but I try to make the most of it. The white background is certainly a challenge, but I'm hoping to send this one in to AIR Modeller when it's done, and they prefer white or light backgrounds, rather than the blue I normally use.

Kev

Thanks, Wolf. I'm still a novice at this photography lark, but I'm trying to improve where I can. My equipment is not the best (ahem), but I try to make the most of it. The white background is certainly a challenge, but I'm hoping to send this one in to AIR Modeller when it's done, and they prefer white or light backgrounds, rather than the blue I normally use.

Kev

Seriously, I don't think there's anything wrong with you photo quality at all. It looks as though it was simply a white balance problem.

Cheers,

Wolf

Looking good sir

How is the impression of this kit ? . I picked it and put in back at the local hobby shop few weeks ago. Somehow it did not seem right to me.

Rgds

Mr b

Well, for an overview, you can check out my review:

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/reviews/review.php?rid=1546

I think the kit is fine so far, but certainly not as precise or finely-engineered as a Tamiya kit. As for the rest, follow along and we'll all find out together!

Kev

Hey, it looks like someone has already beaten me to it!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Built-1-32-P-39-Q-AIRACOBRA-Snooks-2nd-not-1-48-/221859795151

Don't let Doogs see this one!

Also, the builder has the markings on both sides.

Kev

Wow, that pre-shade/post shade is awful. Looks like you could play tic-tac-toe on it.