HpH 1:32 scale Macchi M.5 in resin

Airtourer

Thanks very much guys for all the wonderful comments, they are truly appreciated.

Kevin, by all means, please feel free to publish onto the website. The kit supplied floats are perfectly okay, it is just that I prefer the look of the suspended floats.

Sommo.b, here is a photo of the underside as requested.

Des.

macchi%252520x%252520142.jpg

This is TRUELY impressive !

This model can be compared with De Luxe mahogany made boat models.

Just a question : how did you make the ingnition wires? They looks so accurate, with the kind of twisted / wrapped sheath.

Thank you for your very kind comments.

The ignition leads are made from wire I stripped from ear phones. There are 3 wires inside the ear phone leads and they are wrapped in what appears to be a metal foil. The colour and the look of these wires is very close to what I have seen on actual engines. The thing I like about the wire is that it is very fine measuring only 0.23mm, so scale wise they are very close.

Des., 

It is a really nice model and well made, but where are the machine guns?

Near the end of World War I these were flown by both United States Navy and Marine Corps pilots. The first Medal of Honor awarded to a U.S. naval aviator in WW1 was won by Ensign Charles Hammann in an M.5.
That fact should make this model a bit more attractive to modelers in the U.S.

This is such a lovely design I think it would be great to make a much larger scale radio control flyer. I can just see this soaring gracefully over a pond or a grassy field. It may be enough to drive me back into flying models. I have a buddy who has been into RC airplanes for many years. I think I'll talk to  him about it.

Happy modeling,

Stephen

Looks REALLY lovely!  I have the Walrus on my SOD at the moment, and its been quite a challenge (will get back to it at some point for SURE).

You really did this one justice............Well done!

Me too!

Des is making light of the kit's shortcomings, he's one bloody good modeller. It's not a cheap kit, for the money you'd hope for something a little more buildable.

His DH.2 build is still one of my favourites - and that's the old Roden kit.

Many thanks to all those who have left extremely kind comments, they are really appreciated.

Stephen, the machine guns are fitted but sit too far forward in the nose of the fuselage, the machine gun butts should be visible in the cockpit but because of the very tight fit of the cockpit components there was not enough room to position the guns in their correct position, at least it does have machine guns.

HpH only have to make several adjustments to their kit and add some more detail to the engine and they would have a superb kit, as Dean said it is an expensive kit and for the money should not have any issues, all in all it is still a very attractive looking model.

Des.

HpH only have to make several adjustments to their kit and add some more detail to the engine and they would have a superb kit, as Dean said it is an expensive kit and for the money should not have any issues, all in all it is still a very attractive looking model.

Des.

Looks like you fought through all of the problems on it nicely.  That is the inevitable problem with resin kits, you can never be sure which exact type of kit you'll get.  HpH has to be right near the top of the heap for resin producers though.  Expensive, but doesn't look like other manufacturers are lining up to do an M.5.  Maybe Wingnuts will do one eventually, that'd be cool.

Matt  :frantic:

Thanks Matt for your comments and I fully agree with you regards the quality of resin kits. I built the 1:32 Alley Cat Bristol M1.c and it was an excellent resin kit but on the other hand I built the Omega 1:32 Mosca MB bis, this kit was very close to being tossed in the rubbish bin. I also built the 1:32 Battle Axe Eindecker E.III, another horror kit but I managed to build a reasonable looking model.

I know that Ron from the Aviattic will be producing a resin Macchi M.7 in the near future, it promises to be a beauty, I doubt very much that Wingnuts would ever produce a Macchi M.5.

I don't mind paying big money for a kit if it is of reasonable quality, the HPH Macchi M.5 is not too bad and can be worked into a very nice looking model, I hate paying big money for a kit that has to be virtually scratch built as the parts supplied in the kit are useless.

I will be keeping my eyes open for the next WW1 kit that HPH produce in 1:32 scale.

Des. 

I know that Ron from the Aviattic will be producing a resin Macchi M.7 in the near future, it promises to be a beauty, I doubt very much that Wingnuts would ever produce a Macchi M.5.

Des. 

When did Aviattic announce that? That sounds awesome, will certainly be looking forward to that one, and their Ansaldo kit.  Saw some prototype pictures, but they said it would be released in Spring 2015.  Don't mind resin, as long as we get WW1 kits on the market.

I think HpH will have a few more things up their sleeve, I think they've got some new announcements coming later this year

Matt  :frantic:

Aviattic let it out that Ron was working on a Macchi M.7 just after HPH released their Macchi M.5, Aviattic were going to keep it secret but by releasing the news it may deter people from buying the HPH kit.

HPH are working on a 1:32 scale Aviatik Berg D.1 with Austro Daimler engine, they also plan to release the engine in 1:18 scale.

austro%252520daimler%252520x%2525201.jpg

Of great interest is that they are also working on a 1:32 scale Caproni CA.3, this will be a massive project and when completed will be a fantastic kit.

ca.3%252520x%2525201.jpg

Des.