Tamiya 1/32 Nakajima A6M2 finished 6-13-17

MustangManiac

Thanks for the kind words and the advice on the tabs  and tailhook Ryan. I didn't think of painting the tabs that way. The tailhook just hasn't been installed yet, primarily because I wanted to make sure I got a good paint job in the housing that it's stored in first. I had all intentions of using it though. Thanks for telling me how it was painted too.

Brady

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

It's been a while again since I posted any progress, and I can't say I've gotten lots more done on my build but I've done as much as I could since my wife and I had a baby in the mean time. I've mainly just gotten the landing gear assembled and installed along with gluing the wings together. Here's what she looks like now:

IMG_20160117_192037_248_zpsnmvb0onv.jpg

IMG_20160118_160332_399_zpss2hyqdgp.jpg

IMG_20160118_204946_088_zpsnen36al6.jpg

That's all I really have to show for now, having a second little girl recently has really limited my time at modeling but they're both worth it.

Cheers,

Brady

Brady--

Just caught up on your build. I am building the same kit, and I am using Mr. Color 128 for my exterior color--but wow yours looks great! I have to admit that tan color looks neat!

I admire your attention to accuracy and details as well, keep it up, and congratulations on the addition to your family!

Tom

Thank you Tom for your complements. I've got to say your build looks great too. The tan color is what was called an Amber -Grey that to my knowledge was only uses by Nakajima on Zeros. A lot of it will be covered with a green later for a field applied camouflage scheme.

I have to admit I've been having more fun with my addition to the family than I have been having with models in a long time, but that's how it's supposed to be.

Brian, thank you for your complements.

Cheers,

Brady

• 1 month later...
Hello everyone,

I'm back with some progress, nothing that is too drastic in appearance but pretty big steps in progress. The wings and fuselage are now glued together and the leading edges are filled. The rivet details still need to be added back to the leading edges. The wingtips are assembled and dry fitted to the wings for their safety from being broken off. Here's what she looks like now:

tmp_17227-IMG_20160310_124912_0588424885

The filled leading edges:

tmp_17227-IMG_20160310_125159_966-660614

tmp_17227-IMG_20160310_125337_705-106509

Sorry for the kinda crappy photos, I only had a cell phone to take pictures with.

Cheers,

Brady

Hello everyone,

I just realized I made a mistake earlier on and totally forgot to paint the yellow IFF stripes on the leading edges of the wings. Does anyone know the actual dimensions/locations of these stripes so I can do them correctly?

Thanks,

Brady

Hello everyone,

I did my best at painting the yellow IFF stripes on the wings today using my Aero Detail book on the A6M Zero. What I learned was there was even two different versions of the sizes of these stripes depending on if it was applied early or late in the war. Here's what it looks like now without a few of the masks removed so the yellow can cure.

IMG_20160311_181040_050_zpsqigl5g0a.jpg

IMG_20160311_181112_818_zpslnwsd1pu.jpg

Thanks,

Brady

Hi MARU5137,

Thank you for congratulating me on my new little one. My girls and wife are my life first, then comes my hobbies like this when there's time.

Thank you for your kind words on my model. I think there's not too much more to do before she's finished really, I've been working on the prop this weekend. I want to paint the field applied green camo before gluing the engine and prop in place just so there's less to worry about getting overspray on. So I think I'm real close to doing the field applied green. I've just got to have the time to do it probably all at once.

Kev,

Thanks for your complements on the model. I didn't really like doing these leading edges either and I'm really not 100% sure I did them totally correct but I used my best judgement here. Next I have to cover them up to prevent over spray from the green that gets painted next.

Thanks for following along guys! Sorry I'm slow at this.

Cheers,

Brady