Tamiya 1/32 Nakajima A6M2 finished 6-13-17

MustangManiac

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I'm back with some more progress that I've slowly gotten done. I think I'm going to use some different paints for this project that I've never used yet. They're called Colourcoats and they have a specific line of Japanese colors in their line of paints. Jim Landsdale actually helped develop some of these colors from real plane parts. I've ordered some colors and I'm waiting for them to arrive from Texas here in Indiana.

Anyway here's where I am until the paints arrive:

Trying my hand at freehanding camouflage painting on a spare part I had Tamiya replace and cowl in place:

IMG_20151105_135458_923_zps3w837okz.jpg

The finalized cockpit with seatbelts.

IMG_20151105_135555_014_zps3bzyh9c4.jpg

The belly and drop tank along with a few other parts Luke wingtips to be added later:

IMG_20151105_140417_939_zpsasgthpxx.jpg

Until I get the paints and I have time to use them, this is what she looks like for now.

Cheers,

Brady

Hi everyone,

I'm back and I got my paints in the mail yesterday. I did some comparing of colors on my scrap upper wing half. First off here's the one known photo of 2-2-103 so you can see the difference in colors between the skin of the tail surface and the rudder fabric.

a6m2_junyo_2-2-103_zpsowhabj7b.jpg

Here's a link to another thread on here that shows real Nakajima Zero artifacts on page 2 of it:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=8540&page=2

More....

Here's my test shots of the paints I got and a comparison to the same photos in black and white.

IMG_20151113_150138_040_zpsyjtrhneo.jpg

IMG_20151114_070156_zps4sq2x1hz.jpg

IMG_20151113_171509_508_zpselzihdxm.jpg

IMG_20151113_173851_zpstgdgxftk.jpg

What colors do you guys think look the closest to the original picture when you compare black and white photos? I'm leaning towards the Amber Grey and Tamiya's XF-76, but I want some others' input.

Cheers,

Brady

I think the Amber Grey and Tamiya's XF-76 look good and the conversion to B&W shows the colours to be in the ball park.

So I would push ahead, you already are comfortable with it and I think there are very few (let's just say no) people who could 100% say you are wrong.

As you said the research is hard and there seem to be no definitive answers when it comes to IJN aircraft.

Working on some profiles for Ki-43's at the moment and that is painful, painful, painful even with guys like Nick Millman helping.

It really does come down to looking at the evidence and going with gut-feel/best guess.

Thank you for your kind words MARU5137. I must admit I've always been at least somewhat picky when it comes to details and accuracy in my builds when I can find the details needed. I also like learning on the particular subject that I'm building when I can. 

Le Lapin Mal I think I agree with what you said on colors as Amber Grey being the main color for the skin with the Tamiya XF-76 being the color for the control surfaces. Then I'll just have to pick a Japanese green that I have seeing that it was field applied camouflage, there's really no telling which green was used or if more than one may have been used. I hope to get to get some painting in this weekend, but I've got to finish masking things such as the canopy first.

That's all for now. Thanks for following along with me.

Cheers,

Brady

Hello everyone,

I got a little bit painted this weekend but not too much. I hope to get more done this week since I don't have my classes to attend on top of work and my daily routine at home. Anyway, I sprayed the Amber Grey on the vertical and horizontals of the tail along with the tailcone itself to cover up some of the overspray of the Aotake and get a feel for how it will look. I still have to paint the control surfaces themselves the lighter grey, but this will be my base color for the skin of the plane before the green is applied. This is what she looks like now:

IMG_20151122_210159_577_zpsymwyrtus.jpg

IMG_20151122_210033_411_zpsqqhlmgco.jpg

I would have laid the base coat over the entire fuselage if I had the canopy completely masked but I didn't have it done yet so this is all I painted until I get the canopy masked off and ready to paint.

Cheers,

Brady

Just a quick update. I got the control surfaces painted today so it's starting to look like a real Nakajima built Zero....at least around the tail.

IMG_20151124_152029_755_zpsvcip6vlc.jpg

IMG_20151124_201239_216_zpseuwydowi.jpg

It probably doesn't look much different if any different at all from my last posting, but there's no Aotake overspray on any of the tail any more.

That's all for now.

Cheers,

Brady

Hi Brian,

The paint I'm using is just about none of the Tamiya colors except for the control surfaces which was XF-76 because I'm doing a Nakajima built Zero. The main color I used is the Colourcoats brand Nakajima Amber Grey (Ameiro) ACJ17 since this is a Nakajima built bird they had different colors. This brand of paints I chose to use because they are all made from artifacts of real warbirds and by Japanese historians, like Jim Lansdale and Ryan Toews. I learned of it on the forums of j-aircraft.com. All those Zeros which come in the Tamiya box I believe are Mitsubishi birds and really shouldn't have Aotake wheel bays at all. I do know there were no Nakajima built Zeros at Pearl Harbor because they hadn't begun their production of the Zero yet when the Japanese attacked.

Here's a review of the paints on modeling madness if you're interested:

http://modelingmadness.com/scott/accessories/wejapanw2.htm

Cheers,

Brady