MustangManiac

Tamiya 1/32 Nakajima A6M2 finished 6-13-17

Mitsubishi built airframes, its the same black as the cowl, slight blue hue to it. Nakajima built airframes, it was also black, but without the blue hue to it, inner cowls were also painted in the same colours per manufacturer. All Zeros at Pearl Harbour were Mitsubishi built as I recall. Wheel wells for Mitsubishi built Airframes were the underside colour, oleos black, gear doors underside colour, the metal door retraction bits, gloss black. 

Edited by ade rowlands

That engine is looking WONDERFUL.   

The decking color also holds true to use flat black on the decking for Nakajima built A6M2-Ns as well. However the green/blue Aotake color normally applied (just a green/blue tint to the clear they used to tell where they had been) was instead just a clear on the inner cowl, inner fuse and inner flaps (no wheel wells of course), and appeared as silver and not blue/green.

Hi guys

OK I found multiple sources saying I did it wrong on the cockpit decking. How about the headrest? Does it get painted black too? While we're at it, is the inside of the cowling Aotake or black on the Nakajima A6M2?

Thanks in advance,

Brady

Edited by LSP_Kevin

OK thanks for the information ade rowlands. It sounds like I will get to repaint the inner part of the cowling too since I already painted it Aotake earlier while I had it loaded in the airbrush.

Cheers,

Brady

OK thanks for the information ade rowlands. It sounds like I will get to repaint the inner part of the cowling too since I already painted it Aotake earlier while I had it loaded in the airbrush.

Cheers,

Brady

Brady, you are doing a Great job!!

I know a lot of folks on here ...me included have to re-do stuff sometimes...that's what makes it all FUN! :rofl:

Hang in there buddy all will be ok! Looking forward to following a long  :popcorn:

Teresa  :)

Thanks for the kind words you guys. I still haven't gotten finalized on a paint scheme for this project but I've pretty well narrowed it down to two I like: 

9520-130316_zpsyliu4lfq.jpg

9520-130317_zpspz97cxho.jpg

hsgs7333main-lg_zpsqgn7antl.jpg

65_168_zpsgcj745oi.jpg

Or this paint scheme with Houkoku number 1053:

RD_32-003_instruction_zpsstxdc9hy.jpg

I just can't find any real photos of 2-2-103 other than one of the tail number, so how everyone seems to know its camouflage pattern I'd love to know. Whereas Houkoku number 1053, WI-150 isn't verified to be it's tail number, just a tail that got carried out of the jungle with the rest of the plane for parts supposedly.

Sigh.... Why couldn't the Japs just take more and better photos like we did and not doctor the ones they did take so often.

That's all for now.

Brady

Honestly Bray, no-one is completely sure.

Looking at the various links, Nick Millman's pages are rational and evidence based, not just passing on what he heard from a bloke who knew etc., etc.

Have a look through his site as he does cover this, just can't find the direct link right now, sorry.

Later note:  Nakajima is straight black on the decking.

Edited by Le Lapin Mal

DEFINITELY go with 22-103 IMHO.   There are SO many Zeke models painted in the early Pearl Harbor scheme, that a camo bird would be way cool. Just my opinion, but I like the more unusual looking birds myself.

Hello Brady ( and all LSPer's ),

I've been a long time lurker here but your build has prompted my first post. I too have this kit and have been planning a build with a non PH scheme as well. I've pretty much settled on 2-1-128 with the field applied dark green mottled camo on the fuselage and upper wings (option 4 on the Rising Decals sheet). My plan is to paint on all markings. Just thought I'd let you know that I really like what I see and I'm following your build with interest.   

v/r,

Rob

Brian,

I'm seriously considering 2-2-103 because it looks like a challenge for me with an airbrush and more out of the usual like you said. I'm like you, I like the unusual subjects to model.

Cheers,

Brady

That engine is looking WONDERFUL.   

The decking color also holds true to use flat black on the decking for Nakajima built A6M2-Ns as well. However the green/blue Aotake color normally applied (just a green/blue tint to the clear they used to tell where they had been) was instead just a clear on the inner cowl, inner fuse and inner flaps (no wheel wells of course), and appeared as silver and not blue/green.

Silver paint was used in the flap wells of the Suisen, not the land based Reisen.  The fuselage should be aotake behind frame 6 (aft wall of the cockpit).  Again, A6M's had a floatation bag from frame 7 back to the tail wheel well so nothing should be able to be seen aft of frame 7.  Tamiya does not include this important piece of equipment in either of their A6M kits, nor do they include the canvas tail wheel boot that isolated the tail wheel from the rest of the interior of the empennage, preventing dirt and debris from entering and fouling the mechanisms within.  Another big "oopsie" for Tamiya is that they copied and pasted the oxygen cylinder installation from their A6M5 kit, to their A6M2 kit which is at least partially incorrect (I'm going from memory here so it may be totally incorrect).  This just FYI for us pedantic A6M types :)

Edited by Juggernut