My own P-40B Warhawk!

Tango1

Hello!

I have just spent quite a while looking at everyone else's work on this forum and I am stunned at the level of skill and talent on display here! I don't visit as often as I would like to, but when I do it is always a real pleasure to see the inspirational works being shown here. 

I guess I feel a little bit left out when it come to showing my meagre offering! But this is a great hobby and I like to share my builds, good or bad with you all on LSP so here goes!

This build started out last year after a visit to Duxford Flying Legends. I saw there a beautiful NMF P-40 and it really captured my imagination, so much so that I wanted to build my own personal P-40 B in a NMF. I'm not one for "What if" builds usually, I leave that sort of thing up to those better than me. So last year this build was started with the 1/32 Trumpeter P-40B, a CMK resin cockpit and some AM Decals. 

As this was to be my own flight, I named her after my lovely wife Shelley-Anne, who has been putting up with me for over 21 years now, and more recently helping me through a rough time with an injury I am still being treated for. 

This build was on hold for a very long time due to my not having the full use of my right hand, I am now able to get limited use out of it so on a good day I am able to get to the bench and have a go at modelling. I have had great fun with this build, and due to my ham fisted modelling technique I have made some mistakes along the way. I don't mind, it is nice to finish something and to be happy with it. 

The kit itself is OK, but the cockpit provides sits far too low inside the airframe and is not a good fit. The CMK cockpit is far and away a huge improvement and is easy to work with. I painted the model with various metallic shades of Alclad II and weathering was done with my own wash and artists oils. 

The figure, the best I could find to resemble me was the 1/32 "Flying Tiger" Pilot from Legend Productions. I have to be honest, he doesn't look a lot like me, but it was the best I could do! So I am using a generous scoop of "Artistic Licence" on this one! 

Well, enough blabbering from me! Have a look at the pictures and imagine a sunny day at Duxford's airfield.

DSC_3992_zpsq8xri08c.jpg

DSC_4039_zps4kkdt3l6.jpg

DSC_4021_zps71horl5l.jpg

DSC_3978_zps94hdzziw.jpg

DSC_3941_zpsybu0ucmq.jpg

DSC_3942_zpsv4w0ulms.jpg

Edited by Tango1

Looks very nice! P-40 looks great in NMF. What grass mat did you use?

Rod

Thanks Rod! The grass mat is by Noch, easily found on amazon of all places!

Looks great, mate! Well done! :)

Cheers mate! 

Really very nice work, and choice of livery!

Thank you Robert!

Guest Peterpools

Darren

Beautiful P-40. Just love the finish and the pilot is a classic. A perfect 1940's look for sure.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Peter

Wow! One of the best Trumpy P-40s I've seen, and the figure is really convincing, well done!!

Jim

Thank you very much Jim! Really appreciate your kind words. 

Nice P-40!

Cheers John!

Darren

Beautiful P-40. Just love the finish and the pilot is a classic. A perfect 1940's look for sure.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Peter

Thanks Peter! I glad you liked the finish, it was tricky for me to do!