Minicraft 1/144 Pan Am Stratocruiser

LSP_Kevin

Guest Peterpools

Kev

Fantastic fix on the trailing edges and the wings are looking oh so good. Much appreciated the tips and mini tutorial on how to do it right

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Peter, Jim: thanks fellas. Since my last post, I've filled the gaps around the bottom of the new engine cowls with Milliput. I love the results this product gives, but hate working with it!

Kev

Agreed. Apoxie Sculpt is somewhat better, and I've also used an epoxy designed for wood that is just fabulous, though the specific brand eludes me right now.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, so I've managed to carve out some progress on this one, but as often happens with me, it's a case of two steps forward and one step back. I decided that I'd need to paint the wings prior to mating them with the fuselage, even though test-fitting showed there'll be large gaps to fill, as I'd struggle to get the airbrush into the insides of the inboard engine nacelles. Not such a big deal with camouflage paint, but with NMF, I didn't want to risk it.

So, I broke out my bottle of AK Interactive's Xtreme Metal Aluminium, and gave them a squirt:

M9BTmC.jpg

On close inspection of the results, I discovered more flaws than the Rialto. At first I was going to ignore them, but as I noticed more and more of them, I decided I'd better fix 'em all up and start over. There's nothing so revealing of flaws in your surface preparation than silver paint!

Back to the drawing board...

Kev

Thanks, Jim. The photo is indeed quite misleading. I didn't see the point in photographically cataloguing all the issues, but they include dust and hair trapped in the primer/paint coat, pits in the filler, filler still standing a little proud, sanding scratch marks, a highly prominent raised flaw in the kit plastic...blah, blah blah! I've begun the repair job on one wing, and despite having sanded much of the silver paint off, it's already looking better. It's a pain in the arse, but definitely worth it.

Kev

Well, at least I'm not the only one whose beloved masterpiece turns out to look like Frankenstein under the first coat of primer. Although I have to say Kev, my photos have never been so kind as to conceal the blemishes, it's far more common that I look at the photos and think, "wow, it's even worse than I thought!"

Guess we're our own worst critics ... love the build anyway, it looks good to me!

Cheers

Jim

Thanks Paul. I've got both wings sanded back now, and some Mr Surfacer 500 daubed in a few places. Stupidly, I didn't seal the lid of the Mr Surfacer jar properly the last time I used it (months ago), so now it's the consistency of honey on a cold day. Still usable, but I might have to add a bit of thinner to it before too long.

Kev