Minicraft 1/144 Pan Am Stratocruiser

LSP_Kevin

Kev

Same here. On my end of the screen, the wings look brilliants and smooth as can be.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks, Peter. I just wasn't happy with the finish or my surface preparation on close inspection. I thought they looked pretty good too, at first! They'll be much better the second time around, I think.

Kev

Well folks, it's taken me long enough, but I've finally been able to refinish these damned wings!

YrnPqH.jpg

Ironically they don't look that much different in the photo, let alone better, but the difference to the naked eye is obvious. I used Micromesh pads on this one, and I really must get some of the cloths, as the pads have edges that can catch on surfaces, and that's what they did here. Again, you can't tell in the photo, but there are some micro scratches on the surface, plus one really big, nasty one! It doesn't matter now, as I'm done with this phase - I'm not doing them again! But please, remind to get some Micromesh polishing cloths before I tackle this kind of finish again.

Kev

• 2 weeks later...

Well, another token update chaps, thanks to my glacial build rate! I even have this week off work, but with plenty of chores and other sundry duties to attend to (tax, car service, etc), I've found that any plans I had for extended time at the workbench have evaporated. I did at least make some headway with the Corsair.

Anyway, I got the wings glued on this one:

ma70Km.jpg

I deliberately left the cockpit window part off so that I could check the alignment of the tabs on each wing, which are supposed to interlock inside the fuselage. Is OK I think. My next job is to add some weight in the nose before adding the glassware.

Before that, though, I have some ugly gaps to deal with at the wing roots. This one is typical:

PWYZR9.jpg

Out with the Milliput! I bought a new pack, too, just for the occasion.

Kev

Thanks, Brian. I normally don't do it either, but in this case, I decided I'd never be able to produce a decent NMF on the insides of the inboard engine nacelles once the wings were glued in place. There's hardly any room to get an airbrush down there. Originally I was planning to only paint those areas prior to assembly, but ended up doing each wing entirely. Not even sure why! Still, once I've dealt with those gaps, I'm going to have to repaint those areas. The lower fuselage up to the wing root is NMF too, so I'll need to blend it all very carefully!

Kev

Guest Peterpools

Kev

Nice progress on the Stratocruiser and those surely are some nasting looking gaps at the wing roots. Nothing like a quick build where the kit just falls together. :doh:

Keep 'em coming

Peter