F-100D en bleu, blanc et rouge

Lothar

I've finally decided to change my status from "lurker" to "active" and pulled the Trumpeter F-100 in 32nd from the shelf of doom. 

I did start the model two years ago and put it back into the stash for a reason I don't remember anymore  :whistle: . Anyway, there is

a lot of AM involved: Aires cockpit and wheel wells, Avionix seat, Zacto resin intake, Eduard photo etch etc., etc.

Seeing all this extraordinary work here I felt a bit hesitant starting my own WIP, but hey, it's all about learning, isn't it  :coolio:

I've been working on her now for 3 weeks (sorry, couldn't take any pictures just until a few days ago) and here's where I am right now:

Hopefully she'll look a bit like this when finished:

i-zqkKqR8-XL.jpg

i-jQqCCFM-XL.jpg

i-VQnfb7z-XL.jpg

I didn't like the soft detail in the speed brake well so i opted for a pragmatic solution and removed it completely, I'll add some more bits and pieces shortly. Sure,

the detail won't be seen, but I know it's there.

i-6H3mKNM-XL.jpg

i-jMzHQJp-XL.jpg

i-Mp3ncjZ-XL.jpg

Last picture comes with a question: Did the F-100D have a HUD as we know it these days or was it more of a gun sight / weapons delivery system? I wonder

what would be the correct color of that white square, A HUD type angled glass will cover this area. Any help is appreciated, Google wasn't my friend with this.

i-7D78dN5-XL.jpg

More to follow shortly. 

Lothar

Looks Great Lothar! The Hun never had a HUD just a radar ranging gun sight display and bombing cues in their earliest form presented to the pilot.. The area you're asking about should be a glossy clear greenish/smoke depending on what angle you view it from. YOU can find Twin buddy builds of the Late model F-100's in the Vietnam Group Build threads  from Clunkmeister and me that may help answer a ton of questions and provide some modification and build tips.

All the best to you and your build,

Paul 

Hi 

here is a good idea , a French " Super Sabre "!!!!! Well I don't want to mess up, I think you should check your data base , but I am quite sure that the speed break shape is different on french F 100 ( maybe it's too late  :doh: ) , and be careful , the main gear doors are in one piece ....Here is a picture of the speed break , 

Alain

http://www.google.fr/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fnabe3saviation.web.fc2.com%2Fimages6%2FwaF100-201.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fnabe3saviation.web.fc2.com%2FwaF100D.html&h=666&w=1000&tbnid=5fCNaYPtky55WM%3A&zoom=1&docid=aOaSdfFlXYdXcM&ei=9qCBVciALYr2UpLJgJgJ&tbm=isch&iact=rc&uact=3&dur=1945&page=2&start=37&ndsp=39&ved=0CJkBEK0DMCc

f-100d-11-mh-01.jpg

Edited by alain11

Guest Clunkmeister

This makes me want to break mine out and do the last 4 hours work to finish it.....

Gorgeous build. Everyone loves a Hun!

This makes me want to break mine out and do the last 4 hours work to finish it.....

Gorgeous build. Everyone loves a Hun!

Yea, finish it !........Harv

Looks Great Lothar! The Hun never had a HUD just a radar ranging gun sight display and bombing cues in their earliest form presented to the pilot.. The area you're asking about should be a glossy clear greenish/smoke depending on what angle you view it from. YOU can find Twin buddy builds of the Late model F-100's in the Vietnam Group Build threads  from Clunkmeister and me that may help answer a ton of questions and provide some modification and build tips.

All the best to you and your build,

Paul 

Thanks a lot Paul, both threads read. Some information already integrated in my build  :rolleyes:

i-9qKjkBt-XL.jpg

i-6bV4Bc9-XL.jpg

Hi 

here is a good idea , a French " Super Sabre "!!!!! Well I don't want to mess up, I think you should check your data base , but I am quite sure that the speed break shape is different on french F 100 ( maybe it's too late  :doh: ) , and be careful , the main gear doors are in one piece ....Here is a picture of the speed break , 

Alain

f-100d-11-mh-01.jpg

Wish I had seen these pictures before, I'm afraid it's too late to change anything  now. But, since you're not telling anybody and I

will not tell anybody either, only you and I will know  :punk: . Anyway, I call reworking the speed brake bay done:

i-7rzZDbj-XL.jpg

More to follow soon.

Lothar

Here's a bit more of the work done the last couple of days:

I've added a bit of detail to the rear and thinned the plastic considerably (it will be seen with the nozzle in place)

i-dhBMhJz-XL.jpg

I didn't like how Trumpeter depicted these vents, so I scratch built new ones:

i-QNnMqSV-XL.jpg

The slats were added to the wings and I added some basic paintwork:

i-LL4XMTT-XL.jpg

Since I will use the Spada decals I had to paint the tricolore on the vertical stab (the decal sheet doesn't provide them):

i-S3BZqss-XL.jpg

And finally the front canopy was glued in place (fit was actually quite good). I used Montex masks for the canopy interior and painted the frames black.

i-tvWNJ52-XL.jpg

More to follow soon.

Thanks for watching.

Lothar