Fly Wessex

Bruce_Crosby

Both types were used in the Falklands - and others will know more - but the HU.5 bore the brunt of the losses (most going down with the Atlantic Conveyor).

I don't think the HC2 was used down south, they were going to be, but the plan was scrubbed.

This really looks like it will do well, good for Fly, maybe a portent for future releases?

I would imagine the Sikorsky H-34 version would go down well on the US market and those using it in Europe etc.

Edited by TonyT

I don't think the HC2 was used down south, they were going to be, but the plan was scrubbed.

Yes, you're right Tony. Wiki, which is often sufficiently reliable, states:

"Around 55 Westland Wessex HU.5s participated in the Falklands War, fighting in the South Atlantic in 1982. Their prime role was the landing, and moving forward, of Rapier missile systems, fuel, artillery and ammunition. On 21 May 1982, 845 Squadron's Wessex HU.5s supported British landings on East Falkland. The type was heavily used throughout the conflict for the transportation and insertion of British special forces, including members of the Special Air Service (SAS) and the Special Boat Service (SBS). A total of nine Wessex (eight HU.5s and one HAS.3) were lost during the Falklands campaign. Two HU.5s of 845 Squadron crashed on the Fortuna Glacier in South Georgia during an attempt to extricate members of the SAS, six of 848 Squadron's Wessex HU.5s were lost when the container ship Atlantic Conveyor was sunk and the HAS.3 aboard HMS Glamorgan (D19) was destroyed when the ship was struck by an Exocet missile."

I'm chuffed to bits about the FLY kit and am hopeful for the AM necessaries.

Tony

Although the HC.2 preview on the Fly site doesnt show the actual schemes that will be available, (UNLIKE the HU.5), I DO see a scorpion in the decal set, so it does appear 1/some 84 Sqn ships will be included with the HC.2.

dekal001.jpg

Isnt this an HC.2, and not an HU.5 (little square windows) ?      airsceneuk.org.uk quotes it as an HC.2 as well..........

xs517.jpg

*EDIT* now that I look at it, it looks like its has a longer window behind the smaller square one..................the small square window and being RAF threw me.

Edited by Out2gtcha

Lookin at the HU.5 decal sheet, I only see two tail numbers, XV728, and XT680.

According to helis.com, this is XV728:

1097441.jpg

XV728
    Royal Air Force   f/f 25 Apr 1968, d/d 10 May 1968 to RAF. To 18 Sq, to CFS, to 2FTS by 1981, to 
72 Sq/A by 1983 still 1987 (named Argonaut). Last flight to DARA Fleetlands 20 Feb 1997, clocking up 12,031 flying hours, sold Jun 1998 to Newark Air Museum. whodata.jpg       

XV728
      Sold Jun 1998 
from DARA Fleetlands to Newark Air Museum and arrived by road 18 Aug 1998 for preservation
 still there Jun 2005. whodata.jpg

Also according to helis.com, this is XT680, now in a NZ warehouse:

wessex_xt680_nz.jpg

XT680
    Royal Air Force   Westland Wessex HC.2, c/n WA548, f/f: 20/03/1967
del Royal Air Force as XT680, 03/05/1967
xfer 22 Sqn, unk
 XT680
    Royal Air Force   22 Sq by Sep 1981 still May 1984, 84Sqd/\Diamondsby 2002 - Jan 2003 retired at Akrotiri. Stored Shawbury. Sold to New Zealand 2004. whodata.jpg         XT680
      2011 stored at Taranaki, New Zealand warehouse

Kinda crappy livery choices IMHO for the HC.2, as there are SO many other cooler schemes out there to me, and neither of these schemes really trip my trigger however, and the last one is QUITE ultimately boring in my eyes, but we shall have to see. It seems most of the schemes I do like are HC.2, so looks like I might go with that one.

Edited by Out2gtcha

Andy posted the options from a teaser published some time ago.

HTH

Tony

Cool, thanks for that Tony.........................must have missed Andys post from earlier. I have to say, Im quite disappointed in both sets of markings actually. Hoping to find something I can have a set of masks made for.............

Lookin at the HU.5 decal sheet, I only see two tail numbers, XV728, and XT680.

According to helis.com, this is XV728:

1097441.jpg

XV728

Royal Air Force   f/f 25 Apr 1968, d/d 10 May 1968 to RAF. To 18 Sq, to CFS, to 2FTS by 1981, to 

72 Sq/A by 1983 still 1987 (named Argonaut). Last flight to DARA Fleetlands 20 Feb 1997, clocking up 12,031 flying hours, sold Jun 1998 to Newark Air Museum. whodata.jpg       

XV728

Sold Jun 1998 

from DARA Fleetlands to Newark Air Museum and arrived by road 18 Aug 1998 for preservation

still there Jun 2005. whodata.jpg

Still there Brian.

WestlandWessex20.jpg

Walkaround: http://s28.photobucket.com/user/geedubelyer/library/Westland%20Wessex%20Walkaround?sort=3&page=1

Isnt this an HC.2, and not an HU.5 (little square windows) ?      airsceneuk.org.uk quotes it as an HC.2 as well..........

xs517.jpg

*EDIT* now that I look at it, it looks like its has a longer window behind the smaller square one..................the small square window and being RAF threw me.

That's a HU5, I wouldn't mind doing one like that, here's a stunning model in a similar scheme   http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234933512-westland-wessex-hu5-italeri-148/