Revell's 190

mhorina

Hello,

Well nice to hear that the wheels  can be glued to the gear legs without melting away :whistle: and that the lenght isn't that  bad not worse that Hasegawas.

was looking at the build of the pre prod kit and it looked good !

will be nice to see your comparison of the kits.

Cheers

Boris

You can tell a Brit, when they use 'arse' instead of the incorrect 'ass', which is actually a donkey! ;)

Us Brits have certain standards when it comes to swear words!

It's a bit of a pain because autocorrect changes "arse" to "ass" on my phone - flipping Americanisms. They send their fast food restaurants over here, multi-channel TV (I remember the days when we only had 3 channels!), "proms" - my sons school are having a bloody prom, never used to happen in my day - air conditioned, power steering, airbag inflating cars, massive fridge/freezers - and now they are trying to subvert our language through Google, Microsoft & Apple's flipping auto-correct.

We should have negotiated parliamentary representation when we taxed them, together with devolved powers - like Wales & Scotland, only humungously bigger. Then we could have ensured that proper spelling was introduced!

Just ordered one from Sprue Brothers, with the current exchange rate it's about the same price as the Hasegawa 190 here in Japan.  I know how some people love to hate on Hasegawa because importers jack the prices up (they have nothing to do with that) but the Revell kit will have to be pretty darn good to unseat the Hasegawa kit.  I really don't care about the full engine and I'm really hoping the contruction is less fiddly than the 109.

That being said, it appears to be a solid alternative for those of you who can't get the Hasegawa kits at the Japanese MSRP.

Its better and more accurate than the older Hasegawa kit even without the engine.  I wish I could get the prices you pay in Japan but it is what it is and not a knock on the Hasegawa kit which I have 5 and love the ease in which they build.

We should have negotiated parliamentary representation when we taxed them, together with devolved powers - like Wales & Scotland, only humungously bigger. Then we could have ensured that proper spelling was introduced!

I work in public education here in the U.S., and to my great displeasure we are not to focus on "little" things like proper spelling or even cursive handwriting with elementary grade students (5-11 years) and just let them churn out quantity sans quality - a grade for doing but no regard for doing right. My wife just finished giving English finals to 10th and 11th graders; I've seen the writing portions she's been grading all week and I am appalled. She is appalled. She has never had so many kids fail the state tests as have this year, and it's not just in her class. Nor just in English. Marked drops in math performance this year, too. No one knows exactly what is going on but it seems as if they enter 9th grade now and dump all memory of what they learned prior. I think I know what it is:

Cellphones. The new American babysitter, replacing television. The students are constantly drawn to their phones, impatient to get their fix of "omgwtfbbq roflmao deeznutz #snapvinetwitcrap".

BTW: My spellchecker claims your spelling of 'humongous' to be incorrect. Funny.

Anyway, IRTOP if the price is right I'll be very happy with one of these. So far I've been happy with all of the RoG kits I've purchased; it's the old 70's Revell kits that I cut my teeth on that I'm over now. As all my builds so far have been "in-flight" the gear issue would not really bother me, but a recent desire to build a display cabinet for my armor has got me thinking about doing some grounded birds so I could give a shot of doing open panel detailings. A plane with all the hatches open and gear down looks kind of dumb hanging over your head where you can't even get a good look, right?

Rubbish.

D

I think you better spend some time comparing images of the kit to reality rather than other kits.

A head start for you.

http://www.hyperscale.com/images/fw190f832dw_1.jpg

Notice the top of the wheel comes up to the base of the oleo outlet or above not half way visible like in the Revell kit.

http://www.hyperscale.com/images/fw190f832dw_1.jpg

Another showing non hyper extended struts where the oleo is not visible over the tyre.

http://www.warbirdphotographs.com/LCBW10/FW190-F2-2sf-s.jpg

Maybe Revell measured one like this..on jacks.

http://www.warbirdphotographs.com/LCBW4/FW190-A4-48.jpg

I'm not sure how much time you have spent around real aircraft but I managed to find one photo of a 190 with the struts the way Revell have tooled them.

https://wwiitracings.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/focker-wolf-190-at-salzwedel-airport-their-location-on-v-e-day-cliffie-graham-john-andrews-e-de-la-garza.jpg

Now considering it has no spinner..no canopy..no fuel and no armament all of which add to compress the struts as in the other images to get a realistic compression of the strut you either replace them or buy Eduard legs.

They did exactly the same thing on the 219 kit giving a totally unrealistic stance.

And yes Hasegawa did the same thing in their 190 replicating a non fuelled unarmed 190.

Sure a museum aircraft parked with no guns..no fuel and no pilot may sit with its struts extended the way Revell moulded it but you throw 400kg of fuel(roughly 900 pounds) another 200kg fuel in a drop tank..a 100 kg pilot and 300-600kg of weapons and no 190 that ever existed will sit with that much strut extension.

So no it's not "rubbish" it's a design feature so that as the aircraft is loaded like cars suspension it will sit lower and lower.

Like the 219 Revell have tooled there kit in the empty unloaded position which is not realistic.

It's only a small issue but it's far from rubbish.

Edited by Darren Howie

Its better and more accurate than the older Hasegawa kit even without the engine. 

The Revell kit is nearly identical to the Hasegawa kit in overall shapes and dimensions. So, neither Hasegawa nor Revell is arbitrarily "more accurate". But, the Revell kit falls down on things like prop blade shape/size as well as a few other minor things.

Still working on the comparison, and then have to check that data with good references (primarily Classic Publications and Eagle Editions multi-volume books).

Don't get me wrong; the more I look at the Revell Fw 190 kit, the more I like it (and I liked it enough to buy two kits sight-unseen). But, certainly it isn't the "new gold standard" that so many claim it to be.'

More to come...

D

Hello Rog,

All that stuff you have written in you post is no news,  I just made a remark on the text you put in on your post about the guy that was sad that the kit was 50% up against the Me109 kits and( I dont know where you found the quote not in this thread) i never complain about kit prices,but don't you have a habit of  talking  about  bargains when you have done some purchases,and to tell somebody to change hobby just because they think a kit have gone up in price isn't that a bit snipey.

And Yes what is Chocolate Starfish  :)

Cheers

Boris

I love a good bargain - True! :D ... I also see weird 'over the top' preorder pricing on some stuff   :wacko:  - but I think that, using the 1st reply comment on a review thread to pour iced water over it is VERY poor form ... respect should be given to the reviewer 1st ...

I guess I had a sense of outrage at someone doing that to Mark.

We all know that retail prices on new kits will increase over time ... To me, it beggars belief that Revell can keep their prices so low and still stay in business.

Surely this forum is not going to descend to the level of calling somebody an arsehole, simply because you don't agree with them?

No - I doubt it will ... you're right of course, I don't agree with his comment ... even less with his attitude - on a review post, where someones time and effort have been given to that community.

Then again ... hitting the 'Like' button at every comment 'disagreeing' with mine seems just a little bit hypocritical.

Non-the-less grievance noted ... 

A polite way?... maybe until they finally understand what was said to them.  I vote that we skip all these type of terms on our LSP site.

Rick

I concede ... comment will be edited ... 

Can we get on with the topic now  :rolleyes: ??

Rog :)

So no it's not "rubbish" it's a design feature so that as the aircraft is loaded like cars suspension it will sit lower and lower.

Like the 219 Revell have tooled there kit in the empty unloaded position which is not realistic.

It's only a small issue but it's far from rubbish.

This is pure rubbish:

...with the scissor link not almost straight.

And, this is why it is pure rubbish:

P5220001a_zpsk4gzlqfr.jpg

"Almost straight"? No one with functional eyeballs could possibly agree with you on that.

A quick shot of the other landing gear parts:

P5220001_zpskz4whqk0.jpg

Buy the Eduard parts if you want, but there's no need for inflammatory, inaccurate statements to justify it.

HTH,

D

Oh, and for the record:

I'm not sure how much time you have spent around real aircraft but I managed to find one photo of a 190 with the struts the way Revell have tooled them.

I've had my hands on actual Fw 190 gear legs (attached to actual Fw 190s) on no less than 4 separate occasions over the years. How about you?

I think that this kit seems to be a return to form for Revell.

In that ... the last few releases, while ok, could have been closer to the bar being set for accuracy by others.

That said ... I have a theory. Just a theory - it may or may not hold water.

There are the two obvious possible reasons for a price increase ... assuming that the processes in designing and constructing this kit are the same as previous releases: More parts and/or rising costs of production.

But there might be more to it? Maybe Revell have responded to the feedback on previous releases?? ... I wonder if they've spent more time in R&D - and design - with the shape?

Little things like offering 4 different canopy configurations - with the consideration of the 'pinched' shape when displayed open and a (petty much) fully detailed and displayable engine seems to reflect the sort of detail being desired by the market place of late.

I recall comments being made about previous other releases in regard to 'over engineering' ... in that, most seemed to indicate a preference for better shape accuracy to more parts and gimmicks.

Most also seemed to indicate that they would've rather paid more - for a more accurate rendition of the kit on offer ... than have Revell aim for the cheaper price.

Perhaps this is the result of that feedback? ...  :shrug:

Rog :)

I work in public education here in the U.S., and to my great displeasure we are not to focus on "little" things like proper spelling or even cursive handwriting with elementary grade students (5-11 years) and just let them churn out quantity sans quality - a grade for doing but no regard for doing right. My wife just finished giving English finals to 10th and 11th graders; I've seen the writing portions she's been grading all week and I am appalled. She is appalled. She has never had so many kids fail the state tests as have this year, and it's not just in her class. Nor just in English. Marked drops in math performance this year, too. No one knows exactly what is going on but it seems as if they enter 9th grade now and dump all memory of what they learned prior. I think I know what it is:

Cellphones. The new American babysitter, replacing television. The students are constantly drawn to their phones, impatient to get their fix of "omgwtfbbq roflmao deeznutz #snapvinetwitcrap".

BTW: My spellchecker claims your spelling of 'humongous' to be incorrect. Funny.

Anyway, IRTOP if the price is right I'll be very happy with one of these. So far I've been happy with all of the RoG kits I've purchased; it's the old 70's Revell kits that I cut my teeth on that I'm over now. As all my builds so far have been "in-flight" the gear issue would not really bother me, but a recent desire to build a display cabinet for my armor has got me thinking about doing some grounded birds so I could give a shot of doing open panel detailings. A plane with all the hatches open and gear down looks kind of dumb hanging over your head where you can't even get a good look, right?

You are not wrong!

My son is glued to his iPhone & iPad, to the extent where I have to physically separate him from them, otherwise he'd do precisely no revision at all.

He's doing his GCSE exams this week, very important exams that help decide his university choices. But he'd rather Snapchat or Face time his friends, leading to arguments when we take his screens away from him.

I've also noticed that he and his generation are not good at speaking face to face, and struggle with non verbal communication. It's a bit worrying.

I'm an aeroplane geek.(airplane for my American friends).

But my knowledge just pales compared to some guys on here. The level of erudition displayed never ceases to amaze me, and is one of the reasons why this place is so cool.

I have been checking the Revell kit against my references and I am pretty impressed.  I'm glad to see that Revell has abandoned the molded on beat belts (Bf 109) and  intense riveting (Spitfire).   No doubt the Anton will follow and perhaps even the Dora.  Hopefully Revell will continue with more iconic WWII subjects of similar quality and price, maybe even a P-51B. 

P-51Bkitten.jpg