HK B-17 "D-Day Doll"

moldmkr78

Very very nice!  Gotta love a B-17 (but not as much as a 24 :) :sorry: )

... could be a real B-17 on a Tarmac somewhere in England?

Rattlesden to be precise (if I've identified it correctly as 447th BG). Another link here btw.

The B&W photography certainly adds atmosphere.  Superb model.

Edited by MikeC

• 1 month later...

This is one of the most impressive models I've ever seen, and the finest B-17 to be sure.  I've built maybe four of the Monogram 1/48 B-17G's and have more reference materials than I know what to do with.  I've detailed those interiors to the best of my ability, but none of that holds a candle to your work here.  VERY inspirational! 

The detail, weathering, painting, assembly are all top-flight - just amazing work.  And in this scale, as I am finding out on the Mustang, errors are even more noticeable which really serves as testament to your fine work.

One of my friends was a pilot for the 447th out of Rattlesden (Blue Hen Chick was his plane, Capt Lee (Ralph) Minker. http://www.447bg.com/43-38719.htm.  That is Ralph in the cockpit looking down.  Ralph swore none of the landing/taxing accidents were his!)  I've built a few planes for him and his widow as she took his letters he wrote home and made book out of them so when she is at shows to sell the book, the plane serves as an attraction.

You are making me VERY tempted to build another one. 

Edited by CANicoll

• 8 months later...

Thanks for the comments guys!

So I got to thinking....I want to take this to Seattle for a show in a couple weeks. This thing is very fragile with lots of things (13 gun barrels!!) sticking out that break off very easily (ask me how I know  :doh: ) How do I transport something like this? Well, laying awake pondering this, a custom box is what came to mind. So, when I created the display base, I made it so that it was the bottom of a box. I made 4 walls that could be removed and a lid that slides into place. The box measures 33x33x12 and fits perfectly in the trunk of my wife's car.

Have a look and let me know what you think:

I made a cradle to keep her off her legs during transit.

16899070579_6663a30a4a_c.jpg

The sides are held on with 8-32 thumb screws

17083788182_fefeb70c7b_c.jpg

16899068389_ca63fc3c95_c.jpg

16465131723_cfd2424964_c.jpg

She fits perfectly!

17059318416_6259fcf7d0_c.jpg

I used velcro to hold down the wings and rear fuse.

16897734990_7dd515d278_c.jpg

17085290535_822cf883e7_c.jpg

17084582361_80d03db6a2_c.jpg

All closed up! I hope she's nice and protected in there.

16897513018_d77ddca9d8_c.jpg

That is the most amazing thing I've ever seen to ship a model!  Patent it and sell it, or at least the plans.  Very creative but incredibly practical as well!  THANKS for sharing!!!

• 3 weeks later...