[WIP] F-22 Raptor 1/32 (not Testors:))

artoor_k

Hello!

My name is Artur, I'm from Poland. I'm not a everyday large scale builder but some aircraft models just HAVE to be large to look right :) I think this is especially true for F-22. Sometimes I have problems with detailing, especially wiring so I hope that you can help me :)

Few years ago (2007 as far as I'm concerned) I build 1:32 YF-22 by Testors. It was one of my first 1:32 models. I modified it as I could but result wasn't so good. Lack of skill was visible. This time I try to do it better.

As far as I love F-22 I could not force myself to convert Testors YF-22 into F-22. I know that's possible, I've seen converted models (mainly on LSP) but amount of job was scaring me.

Few weeks ago while reading G.I. Joe forum I stumbled on interesting info, that True Heroes F-22 is almost perfect 1:32. I quickly scanned website, if it's available in Cracow's Toys'r'Us. Of course, it was. I checked length and span and surprise! It's really 1:32. Because it was Christmas Sale the price was really low. And now it's time to convert a toy into model!

3907487182_1a559ccbc6_o_1252646187_zps5e
Mine F-22 is basically the same but desert yellow/green camo instead of gray/dark gray

DSCN7525_zpse2b7958f.jpg

First of all - canopy. It was too big. According to scale drawings I cut it in proper places. Canopy now has right shape. Cut-off parts were glued to fuselage as a cockpit sidewalls
DSCN7526_zpsf2ef3867.jpg

Cockpit (not finished yet) was scratchbuild using paper model of F-22 as a basic pattern
DSCN7522_zpsd2674487.jpg

Instrument panel was done using same method as cockpit
DSCN7523_zpsc50ea4b3.jpg

Any suggestions will be appreciated :)

Hi Artur,

Welcome to LSP.  I wonder if that is the Testors kit but produced in a different way?  It looks like it.

I did once a while back and turned it into a Decepticon from Transformers

Any extra work you do is going to improve it.

Cheers Matty

Guest Peterpools

Arthur

Welcome aboard and one great build to break the ice. Looking forward to following along and enjoying the thread

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Next I've destr...errrr... disassembled F-22 so now I can begin detailing of internal areas. I've scartchbuild weapon bays...

DSCN7553_zps73d436d4.jpg
DSCN7551_zps28a6745f.jpg

...and sealed unnessesary holes in gear wells.

DSCN7550_zps0f73be9c.jpg

I've found photo of Aires front gear well for Academy F-22 and realized that it's very simple. I've begin detailing front well using cooper wire and styrene:

DSCN7555_zpscd3a5406.jpg

Excellent!

I've been wanting an F-22 in this scale.

Nice to know there IS an option after all.

Glad that you like it :) I'm really happy that there is an production F-22. No matter that it's a toy :)

Good work artoor and welcome. I also have the Testors kit that I intend to do battle with one day :fight:

Derek

Thank you! I fought an unfair battle with Testors YF-22. I don't want to remember how much putty went into this kit.

Hey.......

I Likte this...turn this toy in to a model thing........

Yes...keep em coming...

/Mal

I've also started detailing wells and bays.

This was a nightmare, because after finishing I realized that I made huge mistake. There are only about 13 of these "stripes" in F-22 bay. I made much more, TOO MUCH!

DSCN7640_zps4f9b5b8a.jpg

I don't know if remove unnecessary "stripes" or to live with them. Both options bother me.

In wheel bays there are only basic details by now:

DSCN7634_zpsf48041c9.jpg

DSCN7633_zps43cc1382.jpg

About the Testors YF-22...

The differences between the prototype YF-22 and the production jet are significant.

If you want a 1/32 Raptor, this toy is your best bet.

I really hope Tamiya or Hasegawa put out a Raptor in this scale someday.

Edited by KUROK

Hello,

I forgot how weak I am whet it comes to wiring. I always have problems with glueing wires etc. I'm not a detail/rivet counter but I see that bays below are somehow...empty. Maybe I'll try to make more wires in different sizes. Additional details are parts of some computer plugs.

DSCN7682_zpsfd9ed59a.jpg