Pfalz Pfinished!

Wolf Buddee

The upper cylinder assemblies and valve train are finished. The intake manifold locking rings have been added and so have the spark plugs. These items are all from Taurus Models as are the fuel primer cups added to the intake side of the cylinders. The Taurus Models items are incredibly small and equally incredibly detailed. Well worth the money spent but you definitely need a very good magnifying lamp to paint and install them. To bring out their detail I used my usual wash of a 50/50 mix of black and brown Detailer wash thinned with distilled water and a drop of dish washing liquid to break the surface tension of the mix. The fuel primer cup assemblies were primed with Tamiya's fine white primer and then sprayed with Alclad Polished Brass. They were given a light spray of clear gloss to protect the brass finish and then enhanced with my pin wash. The ignition conduits were painted Tamiya's XF-9 Hull Red after the ends were drilled out to accept the ignition wires that come from the magnetos. The rocker boxes were painted Vallejo's Black Grey and the rocker arms and valve spring assemblies were painted with a 50/50 mix of Citadel BoltGun and Vallejo's Oily Steel. In the last pic you can see the clamps I added for the upper and lower coolant pipes. For those, probably because they'll never bee seen, I used small lengths of silver stripe decal.

When I built the Mercedes DIII au engine for my Fokker DVII I used yellow detail wire for the ignition leads. This time I'll use black  as I believe from the photos I've seen of unrestored engines that black ignition wires are more period correct. It won't stand out as much or look as cool but that's OK.

Thanks for following along. 

Cheers,

Wolf

Cylinderhead-10_zpsd9506a04.jpg

Cylinderhead-11_zps716597c2.jpg

Cylinderhead-16_zpsa996574a.jpg

Cylinderhead-15_zps46765745.jpg

Edited by Wolf Buddee

Thanks Kevin, now if I can only figure out why my pictures look so crappy! I'll have to look at my settings again as the pics look too grainy or not quite sharp enough. If I can get that sorted I'll edit the post with better pics.  :shrug:

Cheers,

Wolf

Thanks Kevin, now if I can only figure out why my pictures look so crappy! I'll have to look at my settings again as the pics look too grainy or not quite sharp enough. If I can get that sorted I'll edit the post with better pics.  :shrug:

Cheers,

Wolf

They look OK to me Wolf. But then again, I'm half blind these days.

Kev

They look OK to me Wolf. But then again, I'm half blind these days.

Kev

Nope, you're not blind at all! Need I remind you of the detail painting you did on the Dornier? You can't do that and be half blind. For some reason the pics don't have the same sharpness as I'd like. I've already replaced two of the previous pics and the new ones look a little better. It's way past my bedtime so I'm going to call it a day and leave the rest alone.  :unsure:

Cheers,

Wolf

Guest Peterpools

HI Wolfe

Incredible work and the detail painting is second to none!

Just been to the ophthalmologist for a thorough exam and besides the usual beginnings of the normal eye suspects for a modeler in his late 60's, new specs are on the way. I'm also purchasing a new Optivisor with the highest magnification.: 8X, as mine is an OLD 7X, with years of hard service.

Peter