Seversky P-35: UPDATE: 1/1/15: DONE AND IN THE BOOKS

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Craig

So very much appreciated and the Seversky is repaired and now ready for a tad bit of repair paint work now.

Merry Christmas

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Hi Ray

Alclad is a bit finicky but the wing depression was something I should have seen and I guess the same with the cowl seam. My bad, I just was staying in high gear way to long and should have slowed down to check everything more carefully.  Most of the repair work is done, just a few panel lines to re-do and I'll be back to priming and shooting Alclad Gloss Black and the Aluminum where needed. Right now, my POA is to mask out, rudder stripes, nose band and the fuselage bands. I normally cut each letter and number out individually so I don't have to worry about any clear decal film issues.

Merry Christmas

Peter

Bummer about the repairs Peter, but I'm sure you'll sort 'em out in no time and be back on track. I've just noticed a ghost seam on the underside of my Do 335, but I'm gonna pretend I didn't.

Thanks Kev

I'm not so sure either but I'm willing to be it's the weather/humidity. I shoot the Gloss Black straight from the bottle, no thinner added at 15-20 psi. I normally use three coats: one light mist and two wet coats. On the Mustangs, it took for ever for gloss black to set up and then dry. This time, it dried in a few hours. Go figure.

Peter

I have to thin in unfortunately, as I seem to be able to airbrush as only two speeds: 12 PSI or 22+ PSI. The former is my default setting, and it's insufficient to atomise the Alclad Gloss Black Base without thinning. The latter is workable, but getting a bit too much, and requires me to change my hose configuration to the compressor (long story).

Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Kev

Guest Peterpools

Kev

Seems misery loves company. Now that's my kind of repair .. just don't notice it, especially on the belly side. Hopefully the P-35 repairs are done and I just re-primed and so far, so good.

A very Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Peter

Just now catching up with your project, Peter.

So Sorry about the rework needed, but it would be hard for me to imagine you just leaving it and not fixing it.  You're too good a craftsman for that.

Very, very impressive work nonetheless and I think your finish is going to be truly beautiful and capture the essence of the aircraft and the era.

Busy week here; Sending you and your family best wishes for a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

And, of course, looking forward to our buddy build in January.

Best,

John

Guest Peterpools

Hi John

The more I think about it, pushing so hard to get the P-35 into paint, I might have had the blinders on. After the self pity pill wore off, I went to work, filled in the cowl seam and decided to use wet and dry sandpaper on a flat board to work out depression and feather it in. A few hours later, the repairs were done, a few panel lines needed to be re-scribed and then I shot on the Tamiya primer. So far, all looks A-OK and in a day or so, I should be back on track. Some how, I look at re-scribing lost panel lines now as a chip shot onto the green. I guess I did learn a thing or two along the way, so I do have to thank the Williams Bros for that.

I'm also looking forward to starting our Buddy Build in January and have been kicking around ideas on how to display the Big Hawker. Typhoon.

BTW, The Seahawks looked mighty good theis past weekend and no complaints with the Giants as well. Who knows, they might even finish with a 7-9 record.

Diane and I are wishing you, Jan and the family a wonderful and very Merry Christmas

Peter

Peter, i hope your family and you had a nice Christmas eve...

I tried squinting really well lol, the only seam i could manage to see is the one on the top of the cowl, but its just a hairline seam...I know how you must be feeling at that stage of the build having to refill and resand...then reprime and recoat with the gloss black...and with all the filling and sanding you already have done on the kit im sure you have enough of that lol

The depression on the wing on the other hand i couldnt spot in the photo...

No worries im sure youll have those fixed in a jiffy... 

The alclad finish on the rest of the model looks very nice, and the rescribing came out top notch two thumbs up on that...

Fantastic  :popcorn:

Karim

Guest Peterpools

Karim

The problems don't show well in the photos but they are there and driving me nuts. Very, early this morning and I mean early, I couldn't  sleep and spent a few hours working on the repair. Hopefully they are cured but with Alcald, you just don't know until the Alclad is actually on.

Merry Christmas

Peter

Guest Peterpools

UPDATE: 12/25/14: THE REPAIR

Admittedly I was feeling a bit low, looking at two blunders on my part and now having to face the music and get on with the repair(s). The depression in the wing stemmed from the center section and the outer wing panel not being the same thickness at the mating joint but mostly from a HUGE runaway trail of CCA when I was attaching the leading ledge of the wing to the underside of the fuselage. By the time I saw the disaster, it was too late. Sanding and mumbling under my breath, I thought I cleaned it up well but the proof was in the pudding. Once the Alclad was on, the sanding depression just jumped out and hit me smack between the eyes. The seam on the top of the cowl came out of no where, as I never saw it until after the Alclad was on.

Nothing to do but break out the old sanding block and start wet sanding, trying to feather out the depression across the wing. I did try first filling in the depression but because if the mating problems with the center wing section, it just didn't work. Wet sanding: I did and did and did. For some strange reason, I only shot one photo during the sanding repair and believe me, it was a lot more real estate when done. The cowl seam needed two applications of Mr Surfacer 500 to finally leave town and hit the road.

CRS (can't remember s**t) set in, as I used Tamiya gray primer from the bottle instead of Mr Surfacer 1000 for the priming. Bad decision and a lot more wet sanding was needed to smooth things out. While I was add it, I wet sanded (12,000) the complete model, trying to keep everything on an even keel. The Gloss Black Base went on next and was applied as always. It flowed on the primer just fine but over the Alclad, a slight texture developed and will need to be polished out. I haven't a clue as to why.

If I learned anything from this project: scribing is your friend and think nothing of it. Maybe late tonight, I'll be able to lay the Alclad Aluminum down and see where I am.

Thanks for checking in

Peter

PCW_0789_zpsf531ae6c.jpg

PCW_0790_zps497af38c.jpg

PCW_0792_zpsa2446a39.jpg

Gosh, Peter.....talk about a run of bad luck!

What you are doing now is nobody's favorite task and it speaks volumes about your peseverence that you are not accepting anything less than "just right" on this build.

My hat is off to you, my friend, and here's crossing all my appendages that this is the last bump in the road.

John