1/32 P-38L "Kicked Up A Notch". Jan 15/16: FINISHED!

chuck540z3

Thanks a lot guys!

Just a quick update boys, mostly because I'm tired of sanding and filling the many join flaws on the left boom.  Like the right boom, I need a fairly thick strip of styrene to close the gap on the inside.  As before, putty and other fillers are not the best solution for this gap because there is a lot of potential flex to the wings, which will result in a crack.  Styrene, along with Tamiya Extra Thin Cement (TETC), creates a very strong bond that can flex without cracking.

Leftboom1_1.jpg

Unfortunately, the outer seam also requires some filling, although not as much.  I was able to fill this seam with just TETC on the right boom- more on that later.

Leftboom2_1.jpg

The top fit is also quite crude, with the rear of the boom to wing join having a sizable gap as well.

Leftboom3_1.jpg

After sanding the join down so that the parts were flush, I just used TETC on the left and top join, oozing it in from the side.  The cement causes the plastic parts to melt, closing the gap with a sort of natural liquid sprue.  For the rear, the gap is too big for TETC, so I used CA glue to fill the gap, then re-scribed the panel line within an hour of application.  If you don't rush the drying of the CA glue, it forms a nice smooth surface that is easily sanded down and accepts a scriber without chipping.  After more Tamiya panel line accent color, it appears that there are no scribing errors and everything is nice and smooth.

Leftboom4_1.jpg

I'm really glad I attached just the right boom first and fixed the panel line and join problems, before I attached the left boom.  All stuck together now, this model is a real bear to handle, especially with the weight in the engines.  

Now a tip.  To help hold the model when sanding and allow the landing gear to not touch anything that could break or scratch them, I'm now using my trusty model holder that I have used for all my models.  This simple cardboard box with pipe wrap along the top costs about $1.00 to make and unlike other jigs made of plastic or wood to hold your model, the spongy pipe wrap won't scratch anything.  I also use this box to hold the model when it comes time to paint and if I get paint all over the box, who cares?  I'll just make another one.

Box1.jpg

As I said, I've used this type of setup many times before!

ExtSlats7.jpg
Weatheringwash1.jpg
Paint19.jpg
Dullcoat9.jpg

Now back to a LOT more sanding.... :BANGHEAD2:

Nice work as always, Chuck. Where do you get that pipe wrap stuff from?

Kev

Home improvement or hardware store.  I'm guessing it's way more common up here on the North Pole than sunny Melbourne, because it helps keep pipes from freezing.

Home improvement or hardware store.  I'm guessing it's way more common up here on the North Pole than sunny Melbourne, because it helps keep pipes from freezing.

I reckon you're right. I've never seen it before, but it looks just the ticket. I've got a JH Models stand, and even with the rubber strips glued to the top of the stanchions, it still leaves marks in the paint work I find. Very annoying! Now I only use it during the construction phase, and try to avoid using it once the first coat of paint goes down.

Kev

Nice work as always, Chuck. Where do you get that pipe wrap stuff from?

Kev

Kev-

If you have a Bunning's near you, they sell it in Australia by the looks- It is K-Flex Elastomeric pipe insulation...Might give that a look and see if that is the soft foam stuff. Here is an example- fairly cheap as well-

http://www.bunnings.com.au/search/products?q=pipe%20insulation&expandFrom=5c1fd65b-fe4c-4ea3-a6e5-b804f5d9724d

Good Luck- Nice idea Chuck!

THOR    :ninja:

Kev-

If you have a Bunning's near you, they sell it in Australia by the looks- It is K-Flex Elastomeric pipe insulation...Might give that a look and see if that is the soft foam stuff. Here is an example- fairly cheap as well-

http://www.bunnings.com.au/search/products?q=pipe%20insulation&expandFrom=5c1fd65b-fe4c-4ea3-a6e5-b804f5d9724d

Good Luck- Nice idea Chuck!

THOR    :ninja:

Wow, thanks Thor! I should have thought to do a bit of a web search myself. Bunnings stores are everywhere down here (I guess they're the equivalent of Home Depot in the U.S.), and there's are least two within 10 minutes' drive from me. I'll check it out next time I'm in one.

Kev

Wow, thanks Thor! I should have thought to do a bit of a web search myself. Bunnings stores are everywhere down here (I guess they're the equivalent of Home Depot in the U.S.), and there's are least two within 10 minutes' drive from me. I'll check it out next time I'm in one.

Kev

Kev,

The pipe wrap also has a few other uses, like protecting your cockpit during construction.  I would have used it on this build, but sadly with no side walls to the fuselage, there's nothing to grab onto.  It worked great on my P-51D build where the cockpit is super exposed to damage.....

Pipewrap1.jpg

Tailwheel4.jpg

And my A-10C build....

FrontFuse7.jpg

Nice Chuck!

What are you using to do the rivets?

Justin

Just a needle in a pin vice.

Chuck, I'd swear I've seen that first Mustang pic before-- was it in FSM a little while back, by any chance? If so, that was a hell of a build. Thanks for the tips, this is going to be invaluable when I get back to my own 38!

Mike

Chuck, I'd swear I've seen that first Mustang pic before-- was it in FSM a little while back, by any chance? If so, that was a hell of a build. Thanks for the tips, this is going to be invaluable when I get back to my own 38!

Mike

Thanks Mike!  Yes, it was in the January 2014 issue.

Mustang1.jpg

I've been very lucky with FSM with my F-4E build as well, which made both the November and December 2012 issues.

Phantom1.jpg

Allegedly, my A-10C build is featured in the upcoming November, 2015 issue, but I have no idea if it will make the front cover or not.  Once you submit your article and they accept it, they tell you almost  nothing!

Edited by chuck540z3

Chuck,

As I have followed and built by bird along with yours I am at the point of attaching the booms to wings.  What I have noticed is the strain it appears to be putting on the center part of the upper wing and giving it droop when you pick up.  (hope that makes sense) Did you put any additional support in the bottom side of fuselage (like right behind the radio area, to add strength?  I was thinking of doing that but cannot figure out how exactly to do that.

Just curious.  Great build.

Rod